World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if these reels are any good? I'm looking for a cheap reel that can do a good job for the price (£40.00). It also says they are good for fishing 12 to 20lb class gear. If these reels are not worth even 40quid then could someone point me in the right direction.

I will be going to N. Wales in a couple of weeks and will be doing all the different types of fishing there and boat fishing is one. I have beach reels for clean and rough ground, some can be used also for light boat work. So any info would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If you have a Penn 535 or a Daiwa SL20SH then both of these reels make good boat reels. You can buy each of them for £70 brand new anyway and are good for shore fishing aswell.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the slosh30 for the boat will be fine but I would like a spare reel that will do all I need on a boat. Suppose I could by another slosh. What would be the biggest fish I could get on a slosh30 before it packs up on me. The reason I ask is there is a chance of some big fish where I will be going and need a reel that is strong enough and still light for the style of fishing.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Flathead, if you set your drag system up properly and balance the tackle you are using there is no good reason why it should pack up on you.

I`d two white marlin last year estimated 90 -100 on a Penn GLS 25 on 16lb test, drag was only set at around 6-8lb and the fish were on the boat, T & R in around 15 minutes, still using the reel. We also had a blue marlin took a smaller lure on a TLD 20 and it held on for 4hrs 10mins before the wee reel surrendered, I surrendered after 2 hrs That was around the 700 lb mark.

Thats what the drag system is for.:)

C

·
0 Posts
It is not a bad reel for general use. They look well made but I have not used one for long enough to know how long it will last. I would think it will handle bigger fish than the slosh though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts