World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scrolled through the forum about setting the reel up from new and the advice is there but I could just do with a bit more detail (its probably just me being a bit slow!) After removing the bearings to get rid of the factory grease, do I just rinse in lighter fluid or soak overnight? Do they need to be dried before adding rocket fuel? Also, can I get thumbscrews to replace the screws either side of the gold bars? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Hi mate, I am not sure if they do the thumbscrews for the 515, check pmr's website maybe. As for the bearings soak them in lighter fluid around 15 mins, I normally clean the rest of the reel when they are soaking. You want them completely dry before you add your choice of oil, personally in my 515's and all my other fishing reels I use tg's red rocket fuel, 1 drop either side of bearing after drying with clean tissue. Fast enough to get the lead out over the snags and the thickest of the tg's range, so the oil doesn't wear out fast. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I use the tg's penn formula rocket fuel,not sure if its still made but I brought 3 bottles about 7 years ago great stuff...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts