World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought one of these a while ago and pretty happy with it except for the ratchet, it'll click reasonably loud for a second then goes loose, ive tried new springs inside to tighten it but still had no joy. any ideas on what to do as it is sure gonna result in missed runs etc

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
If you haven't sorted it with the tweaks you've done it's best left to Ewan to be honest. He knows his onions. And anything else might void your warranty.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you have already had a tinker with it the warranty is probably void already,wait for some other owner/members to see your post,I would send a P.M. to Midas he has been very helpful in resolving problems with my reels .

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Penn ratchets work by slidding the ratchet button which pushes the ratchet into the nylon gear on the spindle it is then held in place by two small rounded ended pins that sit in the indents in the ratchet itself.Compared to some reels they do seem very quiet ,it has been advised before to sharpen the end of the ratchet to give it more "noise"i wouldn,t reccomend that.However to increase the pressure that holds it in place you need to remove the brass plate that holds the springs in place then either get some longer more powerful springs (i doubt you will find any easily) or put something behind the springs (small about the size of a tiny abu brake block) this will force the springs into the ratchet more,you can also (and i won,t take the blame if you mess it up) make the two indents in the ratchet deeper) i have machined these bigger in the past and it stops the pins popping out as easily however too deep and they will struggle to pop out at all ,it could be that the se indents are worn and all you might need is a new ratchet ,lots of oil and grease also make it less effective make sure it dry to increase any friction

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Wouldnt spending bit more time watching the rod tip help,rather than relying on the ratchet to signal a take peewee mate?????:whistling:whistling:whistling:whistling

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did get longer springs and tried them and it def made a bit of a dif in the way it held for longer but still pops out, keep trying its gettin better slowly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts