World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an original 525 Mag for about four years. It's been faultless, has been used from shore, rocks and boat, has been used with mono from 15 to 35lb, and even 50lb braid. Gets washed and cleaned regularly, and has never let me down. casts for miles, and has plenty pulling power. Give me a graphite casing over a metal one anyday for this size of reel.

So then came the supermag and mag extra. My question is - has anyone gone from an original 525 mag to one of the newer ones? If so, was there a considerable difference in performance? If so - what?

It has been shown on here that additional magnets can be bought from Maplins for pennies and superglued in place. Is that worth the extra £25 or more?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Your current choices are Mag Xtra, or Supermag Xtra.

The Mag Xtra is basically the same as the original Mag straight out of the box, but it also comes with 2 extra mags and better quality bearings which you can fit if you want to. If you do fit them then this would effectively upgrade it to what was the Supermag (which is discontinued and is different to the current Supermag Xtra).

I've got one of the original Mag 525's, and wanted to pair it up with a second. I went for the Mag Xtra because I didn't think the extra £40ish for a Supermag Xtra would make any noticeable difference to me in a fishing situation. That's a choice you will have to make for yourself. I've added the extra magnets, but the upgraded bearings are still sitting in the box awaiting the day when the original set eventually need replacing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
not worth the extra money in my opinion...if you didnt need the extra magnets in the original why pay to leave them sitting in the box now? bearings in the original are perfect aswel so why would you need new ones? If you are on the market for another 525 mag try and find an original new or in good second hand condition as they are by far the better reel...

and for those who will argue that the abec 5 bearings are great for casting, well ive got an original with the original bearings and an xtra fitted with abec 5's that came with it..

when i crank up the handle and flick it into free spool the original runs for up to a minute (i like my reels to run fast) and the xtra runs for 30 seconds or so despite the fact that both are tuned the exact same?

quality control has slipped with the xtra aswel..in the short time ive owned one ive had mags pop out of their holder mid-cast and at the moment im trying to solve a problem where as the reel sounds like a tractor on the cast and retrieve..apparntly the pinion support bearings tends to go...

im by no means trying to discredit penn tackle..the 525mag original is the best shore reel ever. period. Ive owned severel penn rods..all fantastic..my pb cast of 190 yards was actually on a penn villian and i had conoflex and centurys that couldnt top this! I had and regretably sold a 525gs..great rell but im looking into a 535gs now to replace it which will be excellent i know..

but as regards the xtra..well ill let you make up your own mind...maybe i got a bad egg..maybe not....

GET AN ORIGINAL!!!!!

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I went from the mag extra to a standard mag.

no difference except the std out of the box runs a bit faster.

ie stick em both on the same lube the std would be faster - nothing a bit of messing around with oils cant fix.

Think basically the new mags are more forgiving straight out of the box.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just give Ewen @Penn a ring on

Work number 0141 880 9029

A nicer and more instructive fella you will never wish to meet
he,ll give you all you need to know on upgrading..."or not".

Gazza :happy:

I live a mile from Penn's workshop and know Ewen well, but was more interested in the view of those who had paid for the beasts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts