World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Recently stripped me line off me 525,it seemed to be going no where when i was casting it i.e the spool seemed to be sticking,i changed the settings let the mags off and loosened the spool knob and it was still the same:wallbash:.
Is there any particular method/lubricant to get the spool running nicely should i use rocket fuel to get it running nicely or? My reel isn't gritting,the spool just seems to not be running freely enough.
Any tips on would be grateful.
Cheers

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Take the spool bearings out, clean them in lighter fluid, re-oil them with red RF oil or whatever you like, re-install and see what it runs like :thumbs:

525 Mag

The spool runs on a pair of bearings contained within the ends of the spool. These bearings run on a separate shaft which is in turn supported by a pair of bearings in the end plates. With the spool under load the shaft does turn in the outboard bearings, but during the cast shaft rotation is minimal so direct your attention to the bearings in the spool for tuning purposes.

The spool is designed so the bearings are a snug fit, trying to remove them with a hook is likely to damage the inner dust shield. Use an extractor as shown, or the shaft itself can be useful. Once removed from the spool soak the bearings in clean lighter petrol for 10 minutes or so to ensure all oil and grease is dissolved. Remove, change the petrol for new and soak again for a few minutes, this makes sure the residue of dissolved grease and oil is not left in the bearings.

Leave to dry on kitchen towel and re-lube with oil, I like to use Red Rocket fuel or an EP80 light gear oil. This, in conjunction with a line level 2 to 3mm below the inner spool lip allows for safe casting. To the inner lip the spool is around 2mm larger in diameter than a 6500 spool so with the line level with this inner lip you are running the equivalent of an overloaded tournament reel. This will require considerable braking to control so unless you really do need the extra capacity keep the level down to 2mm to 3mm below the inner spool flange.

The four rare earth magnets move in a series of equal steps - 1 to 8 - that bring the magnet holder closer – setting 8 - to the spool for increased braking or further away – setting 1 - for decreased spool braking. The braking effect is caused by the magnets working against the eddy current produced by the revolving metal spool. The theory is the faster the spool revolves the greater the eddy current produced becomes and the greater the effect of the magnets on spool rotation. This power in fact increases exponentially as the spool speed increases.

I generally run my reels from between maximum mag setting 8 down to 6 or sometimes, if conditions are good 5. More often I will cast on 8 or 7 then once the lead is well away and decelerating, slide the mag control down a couple of notches. This keeps everything under control in often difficult beach casting conditions but allows the lead to travel a little faster once the line level in well down and natural braking caused by the reduced spool diameter reduction has kicked in towards the end of the cast.

End tension on separate spool/spindle designs has little effect other than wrecking the bearings. Set the tension with the silver knob under the star drag so there is a tiny amount of lateral free play. This knob may be stiff to turn, which is caused by a rubber O ring, dribble a little thin oil under the cap to lubricate the O ring and make it easier to adjust the knob.

However, if you have problems with thick oil, an appropriate line level and full mags there is one more tweak available to you. You can double up on the two magnets in the center by ‘piggy backing' similar sized magnet on their backs. The set of pictures shows you where they go on a mag assemble I have removed it from the reel to make it easier to see. The extra mags will stay in place on the back of the plastic carrier purely by the magnetic attraction through the plastic.

Line balance
The spools on modern reels run at extremely high speeds and just like a vehicle wheel will vibrate unless the line is balanced. The gold anodized spools fitted to the Mag reels are machined from forged alloy bar, close tolerances mean the run out on spools is generally less than one thousandth of an inch. As with any high performance revolving spool reel balancing the line on the 525 spool is paramount for optimum performance. When loading a spool for the first time follow this simple procedure:

Set the knot to one side of the spool and wind the line on cotton reel fashion for three of four runs across the spool. Then concentrate on feeding it evenly across the spool and fill to the required level. Now tape it down with some plastic insulating tape run exactly twice round the spool. It must end immediately over where it starts on the spool as an overlap will put the spool out of balance.

Give the spool a good spin, knock it into free spool and listen. If it makes a noise or you can feel vibrations wind all the line off onto another reel and rewind. This time start with the knot on the right hand side and wind on a few feet to create a hump. Then take the line rapidly across to the left and make a similar hump there. Finally create the final hump in the middle then even it all out and continue to wind on evenly as normal.

Tape down the end, spin and see how it runs this time. If it's still not right try variations of humping left, right, middle or right, middle, left until you achieve vibration free running. Sometimes you will be lucky and get it right first time, or it may take a little while.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Failing all of the above , your bearings could be knacked or your spool shaft might be warped.

If in doubt get in touch with Ewan at Penn service, top bloke very helpful. They'll strip and fully service your reel for about £20 ish plus parts.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Might be too much end tension (crome dial) being the route cause...

·
Registered
342 Posts
try flicking the cast switch over before you cast, it makes a world of difference ;-) nahh but seriously, how old is the reel ? has it been left for a long time since it was last serviced ? Is it noisy when you`re casting ?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Failing all of the above , your bearings could be knacked or your spool shaft might be warped.

If in doubt get in touch with Ewan at Penn service, top bloke very helpful. They'll strip and fully service your reel for about £20 ish plus parts.
I doubt very much the spindle will have anything to do with the slow reel Penn spindles must be the strongest in the world however Whitingcatcher66 did mention slackening off the chrome tensioner which makes it sound as though it has been used to slow the spool initially this will have an effect on the bearings and chances are they are damaged.The early Penn mags had a very tight fit between the spool and bearing later ones didn,t so first job would be to remove the spool and bearings ,clean the bearings after a good soak in lighter fluid let them dry then refit in the spool and spin it on the shaft ,if its nice and free and quiet then re oil with gearbox oil EP80/90 ,if it doesn,t spin freely give them another soak in lighter fluid ,and try again failing that we can guess the bearings need replacing.Once the reel is reassembled with a free running spool make sure there is plenty of side to side free play and see how it spins, it should be just the same as when it was out of the reel if its not try holding the reel with the handle pointing up and then down seeing if the spool is rubbing on anything internally at either end of the reel there could well be some dirt/salt sand in the gap in the cage where the spool sits also check the magnets are fully backed off to there minimum setting it could be when fully on one of them is touching the spool (they do pop out occasionally ) after trying all this report back and say if it was a success or you are still having problems

·
Registered
174 Posts
everytime you get in from fishing marra,clean your mag with a rag dampened with wd40.a toothbrush can help.if your reel is in poor condition you need to check the bearings and use,i prefer yellow rocket fuel.set your brakes to full until you get the hang of it or,if youve got a smooth action cast just belt it out.
this all takes practice, all the match lads will tell you this is the way to gan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers lads for the advice/help,my penn 525 mag xtra is running great now,the spool is running very nicely now compared to before, cannot wait to get out fishing now and see how it performs:victory: ,hopefully a lot better then the last time i used it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts