World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Penn 525 Mag Xtra and have tried to install the two extra magnets. I followed the instructions exactly but when I replaced the end plate I found that the extra magnets foul the adjustment slider. I tried moving the mags to either end as in the photo end but they just snap back together in the middle and in any case they would still foul the slider.

And now, after fiddling around trying to get the damned thing to work two of the original mags have jumped out onto my workshop floor and have forever vanished into the black hole beneath the bench. As far as I can see the extra mags don't work properly and now if I want to sell the reel on it'll cost me to replace the two magnets.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with the extra magnets fouling the slider and can Gary or David Caulfield offer any advice?

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
John there really shouldn,t be any problem at all fitting extra mags the only way i can imagine a fouling problem might occur is if someone tried to put the extra magnets on the front of the mag carrier i.e the side nearest the spool ,they go on the back on the opp side to the originals otherwise they would foul badly it does sound like yours have touched the originals and thats what pulled them out ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John there really shouldn,t be any problem at all fitting extra mags the only way i can imagine a fouling problem might occur is if someone tried to put the extra magnets on the front of the mag carrier i.e the side nearest the spool ,they go on the back on the opp side to the originals otherwise they would foul badly it does sound like yours have touched the originals and thats what pulled them out ?
No, I did fit the to the underside, i.e., beneath the original mags. I fitted them with the slider in the 'Slow' position as per the instructions. The problem is that the slider will no longer work propely as when it is moved towards 'Fast', moving the extra mags closer to the end plate, they foul the slider. I have attached a photo with the slider moved to the 'Fast' position to show this.

As you can see, there is not room for the mag to fit. What it means in practice is that with the extra mags fitted the slider only works up to the half way point. You can't back them off any further than that. This in effect halves its usefulness in adjusting mag power to suit conditions. And if this is meant to be so then there is no mention of it in Penn's advertising blurb! What is more, fiting both the Abec bearings and the extra mags will therefore not bring it up to the old Supermag standard as advertised.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
John i see your problem and if they are the ones Penn supplied im 100% sure they have cocked up and sent the wrong ones they look massive !!! If you did manage to fit one i bet the spool would hardly move with those monsters in .Contact the two Caulfield brothers im sure they can sort you out they are the biggest mags ive ever seen ,if you have any problems i will supply you with a set that do fit and do work ,i think Penns magnet cutting machine had an "off " day

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response, Midas. My first thought was that Penn had enclosed the wrong size of magnet but those shown in the instructions are equally as deep. Here's a scan of them (they won't sit apart as in the bottom illustration by the way - they just snap togther in the centre when they're released):

They're at least twice as deep as the original ones. If they had been the dame then they ought to have worked. What are Penn playing at?

I'll give Gary or David Caulfield a day or so to reply then I'll PM one of them to find out what's gone wrong.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Assuming as you look at the end original magnets in a row, you can see 4 of them...

Put the extra magnets behind magnet 1 and 4 instead of magnet 2 and 3.

That should sort it out.

Oh, and drop me your address to [email protected] and I'll get some spare magnets out to you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary,

Thanks for the offer of replacement mags - I've PM'd you my address. In the meantime I contacted Neil Mackellow and he's offered to have a look at everything and set it up if I mail him the endplate etc. As soon as I get the mags I'll send everything off to him and I'll post the results here. I'd hate to put anyone off the reel if it was my fault.

John

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Assuming as you look at the end original magnets in a row, you can see 4 of them...

Put the extra magnets behind magnet 1 and 4 instead of magnet 2 and 3.

That should sort it out.

Oh, and drop me your address to [email protected] and I'll get some spare magnets out to you.
i had exactly the same problem as this and as gary said fitting on 1 and 4 sorted it. they fit first time and never had a problem. it will only take seconds after hours of problems.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Surely if they only fit behind number 1 and 4 magnets then Penn shouldn,t be supplying totally conflicting instructions that show the extra magnets behind 2 and 3 , has this been corrected or are the reels still being sold with this info sheet ,they still look monster magnets to me

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neil says they're the same magnets and in the same configuration as the Supermag. They're definitely not shown in the instructions in the position Gary recommends though. Also, the advice I've had for removing mags is to take them from the ends otherwise it spoils the spool balance and I'd have have thought that adding them to the ends would have the same effect. The whole thing's a bit embarrasing and making me feel thick. I've stripped and maintained many reels and never before had any problems. Oh well ... I'll just leave it to Neil when the replacement mags arrive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts