World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
phil dont no much about the bearing's only just bought a 525 super mag, but i just noticed you have a carbon metal and want to no what its like if you dont mind thanks joe.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
OK here goes:

Normally it comes with Century's excellent coasters but mine is fitted with the abu grip lock.

The rod is 13' 6" long, the newer models have a reflective tip. It is capable of great distances in the correct hands but, in my hands I can manage to hit the water with the rig :) . Therefore it will suit a variety of casting styles, even the overhead thump. I have seen a few people do a full pendulum with it, and, boy does it bend.

Bite detection is excellent also, it is very stable in windy conditions, I have seen softer rods bounce all over the place, my CM hardly moving.

It is suited to either reel up or reel down, I cast reel down. It will cope with both.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, have you a problem with the standard bearing's?

Lots of people talk about reels, oils, bearings ect. In real terms most bearings will need an oil with a viscosity thick enought to offer a bit of breaking. I cant quite get my head around all this bearing hype i keep hearing about. I have a number of 525's both knobbys and standard and have never had a problem with the standard bearing's.

Hope ive been of some help. :D

Regards Ryan.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, had the reels over 2 years, changed the oil a couple of times. It is just that heard good things about ceramic bearings!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, if you are happy with them as is leave well alone, if it aint broke and all that.

What will changing the bearings achieve?

Regards Ryan. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I just heard that the reel will run more smoothly. I could be wrong, it is always handy to have another set of bearings!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Phil, IMHO i dont think you will find any deference at all. As a Sea Angler Magazine Casting Instructor i see lots of anglers that read or have heard lots of conflicting information. i use my 525's for fishing, with the bearings loaded with ep80 oil (yes gearbox oil) i have no trouble casting this set up out to around the 200yd mark over grass with a simple fishing pendulum cast, whats more the reels run as smooth and trouble free as any.

Regards Ryan.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, their worth a try, change them and see how you go, i would be interested to find out what you think.

Im just a little sceptical, most people say the ceramics are faster, then add oil and breaks to slow them down, whats the point?

ryan.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I heard that they were smoother and quieter than the normal bearings in a 525.

I might stick with what I got, if I win the auction I will put 1 set back up for sale and keep the other set!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, keep me updated. Im always willing to listen.

Regards Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I will give you my honest opinion, as always. I am NOT a pendulum caster, YET, for distance I normally use an aerialsed off the ground which I know is close to a pendulum! Or just a gentle lob, difficult with a 525 mag mounted low on a Century Carbon Metal, and it hurts your thumb!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, have you tried it brighton / unitech style? might be worth a try. shouldnt hurt unless you get it wrong, if it hurts its wrong if it dont its right.

Ryan
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Ryan said:
Phil, have you tried it brighton / unitech style? might be worth a try. shouldnt hurt unless you get it wrong, if it hurts its wrong if it dont its right.

Ryan
:D
Isn't it sometimes called the South African cast?? Or have missed the boat AGAIN!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Mine have a good rinse under the cold tap, drained and dried off. The bearings have a couple of drops of oil in them!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phil, casts get called all sorts of things by all sorts of people. Try laying the lead down by your feet and cast OTG, this style loads the rod very quickly and can result in better distances (can also bust tips off :( but not on a CME :D )

All the best Ryan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts