World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hi, I'm looking to buy a new (second hand ) reel, if anyone has anything to add on the two above I would be grateful. I usually wind with my left hand but choice is limited so I think I will try a right hand wind multiplier. Has anyone seen or used the new slosh20 with the selectable brakes, and how would this compare to say a mag 525? :confused:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Rich

FWIW: I have an old SL20 and two mag 525s.

I bought the SL20 first, but it hasnt seen the light of day ever since Santa bought me my first 525. SL20s have their fans, but I just can't see anything to rave about them (I do however like SL30s). True, the SL20 hasn't let me down (and has even landed my biggest fish), but it just doesnt scream out to me that it is an exceptional reel - the penn did first time I used it. Very strange is that anglers seem to fall into two groups when it comes to the mag 525: love 'em or hate 'em - doesnt seem to be any middle ground.

One thing to consdier is that the SL20 has the gear housing positioned in an annoying place which can make griping the reel a bit tricky during casting (up the butt).

Penn mag or supermag is probably the way to go, but the SL is a good £40 cheaper and will do a good job so the choice is yours......

I wind in left handed on FS and right handed on Multi. Feels right. Weird :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: Cheers for that, it's nice to hear from someone who has actually got one, rather than heard about them, mags are more expensive but 30th Birthday in 3 weeks, who knows?????????????????? :cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
After further consideration I think my opinion can be summarised as follows:

* Both reels are quality bits of kit that will do the job required
* SL20s are good reels
* Mag 525s are great

There is also the 525gs to consider - and in truth this is more of a suitable direct comparison with the SL20. I haven't got one so can't comment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rich said:
:confused: Hi, I'm looking to buy a new (second hand ) reel, if anyone has anything to add on the two above I would be grateful. I usually wind with my left hand but choice is limited so I think I will try a right hand wind multiplier. Has anyone seen or used the new slosh20 with the selectable brakes, and how would this compare to say a mag 525? :confused:
the reel ur rhinking of is the shv 20 its a good as is the penn ,ive got quite big hands and i find the shv uncomfortable,the penn is a much nicer reel to use but iits build quality is not the same as the shv . go for the penn even though its morev expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have both the penn mag and the slosh20 hv

i find then both great reels, and would not be to botherd about which one i used as i think they are as good as each other.

the slosh 20 is bigger than the mag which may make it awkward if casting up the but, but i find the slosh has that little bit more leverage than the mag ( in my opinion) for reeling in over the rougher stuff.

they both handle the same venues, both have the cranking power and big 6:1 ratios, and can both be quite lively if not tuned properly.

your best bet would be trying to get a couple of casts with each reel before you commit to buying. what i think of these reel may be totally different to what you think after having a cast with them.

hope this helps

mart ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Manx Fisher said:
I bought the SL20 first, but it hasnt seen the light of day ever since Santa bought me my first 525.
Well if you want to sell me the SL20 for £30ish + P&P i will take it off ya hands as long as its in decent condition ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts