World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to fish with 30lb line stright thru when fishing in the heavy kelp & rocks on the North East coast.

The biggest reel I have is a Penn 525 but can it really cope with 30lb line & the real heavy stuff or am I going have to shell out for a SL30sh or a 535.

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Get a slosh 30 mate you cant go wrong with them the bog standard slosh is a great reel and a great price,the 20 is good for up to 25lb line.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
an alternative to getting a new reel is to try braid ,something like 50lb -70lb power pro will still give you decent capacity .takes a fair bit of getting used to,but will be worth it i think,instant pick up of lead really does minimise tackle losses,best to fish with the reel on the ratchet though ,even 2lbers can have your rod in with the lack of stretch ,and give them more time when biting before hitting them.
ive just started using the 110lb stuff on an sl30sh,no casting problems ,no wear probs over rocks (my mates on his 3rd year with 50lb fireline on an sl30sh and has only cut a few feet off the end due to wear ) and its really easy breaking out of snags ,it will straighten even the toughest forged hooks ,or break them off.
no bedding in probs with the power pro either ,the 110lb is about the same diameter as the 35lb line i previously used.im looking forward to using it this winter.
cheers rab

B

·
0 Posts
i use 25lb f1 with a leader for rough ground on a 525, it really takes some breaking if snagged. i used braid straight through for a couple of years but it has a tendancy to cut on rocks more often than not when striking into a fish as its imediately under tension while its still on the rocks. it also gets expensive if youve got to replace it every few trips, depends how rough your ground is really.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The ground around the areas I fish is about as rough as it gets, very thick kelp & rocks. I loose a lot of gear:cry:

The braid is an option I had not really considered as I've heard mixed reports in the past. I thought abrasion was the big killer with braid but I can see the possible benefit of zero stretch to haul fish through the kelp.

If i was to add another reel to the armory I would look at the Slosh first as it certainly gets a good name but I do like my 525 and the natural progression would be the 535 possibly with the mag. How does the Sl30sh compare to the 535 Mag?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi,

I have both the 525 & the 535. Ithink they are both great reels.:thumbs:

The 535 doesn't cast as far as the 525 but it's a great reel for rough ground work and if you do need any spares,they are reasonable cost.
(I've heard of some reports of Slosh spares being quite expensive).

I know that some people will have a go at Penn and some will rave about Diawa and ABU. But if you like the 525, you will like the 535 too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the SL's are brilliant reels, used mine for years in the Bristol Channel. Only problem using 30lb straight through on a 525 or SL20 is line capacity. I've just magged my SL20 and will do the SL30 in time, it is a nicer reel to cast than the 535 in my opinion:unsure: They can be hard to wrap your thumb around though as they stand high.

·
Registered
134 Posts
get a slosh they were actually designed to meet the demands of fishing the rough ne coast! The braid is a great idea think i might try that might self.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I use 2 535 GS loaded with cheap 30lb line,either straight through or with a shock leader ,no problems yet,as said penn parts readily avaliable if needed ,if i want a bit of distance a 525 with 20lb & a shocky ,sorted,seen too many sloshes killed rough grounding ,only my opinion though :g:

·
Registered
157 Posts
535 mate. Powerful, smooth, great to use. 30lb straight through. Been using it for years on the rough stuff and its never let me down. If your used to penns its the way to go.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the 525's gears are 2x as wide as the slosh's FACT , if you don' believe me open them up side by side. But to answer your question , when i fish the snaggiest places i use my 535 mags , only because the retrieve is massive due to the big spool. The 535's are good for well over 100yrds with bait and that is more than enough for most beaches let alone rock marks. The slosh's would do a good job , thought i'd add that in case peeps think i'm a fanboy !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice lads,

Looks like Im going to have to shell out for another reel.... again!

After the above feedback I was heading towards the 535 Mag with its longer casting ability but I've just priced the 535 Mag & the Sl30sh and the Penn is twice the price, is the Penn really that much better?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Best thing to do is get your hands on both options and see which one feels better to you. Everyone has their own favourite and you will get opinions from everyone. :g:
The best opinion to take is your own as you are going to have to live with it.
I know that I've tried my brother's Diawa reel and did'nt get on with it. (It's not a Slosh though)
The 535 is very similar in feel to the 525 just larger.

Just to add, I picked up my 535 on Fleabay for £55 second hand. Loaded it with new line, serviced it and it's like new.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i had a penn 535,found it a dog.
slow as a slug casting wise whatever i did to it.
the slosh 30 may not be so tough (apperently) but it casts a lot further.

·
Registered
175 Posts
After the above feedback I was heading towards the 535 Mag with its longer casting ability but I've just priced the 535 Mag & the Sl30sh and the Penn is twice the price, is the Penn really that much better?
one thing to remember - you get what you pay for -
i prefer the penns,also the slosh are no good for small hands

1 - 15 of 15 Posts