World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When casting with my super mag the spool makes an annoying noise. I have checked the magnets, they have not come loose, the line is laid evenlly on the spool and there appears to be minimal movement of the spool lateraly in free spool mode.
Given that the reel is only 1 year old and not had excessive use I find diffecult to believe it is the bearings.

Has anyone any thoughts.

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possibley had a slight noise at first and is geting louder.

I have played with the tension nut and have never over tightened it

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
i had the same problem i took the side plates off gave the reel a swil under luke warm water and she been fine since, can only assume with mine that some sand got in there at the beach or when i finished my session i always undo the star drag and i underdone it a bit much and grit got inside

·
Registered
221 Posts
If its a high pitched scraping noise that happens when you wind as well, it may be sand caught between the spool and the cage. Take the spool out and clean both parts.

More likely, the spool is out of balance due to line lay. You could use the search facility to find methods to load the spool and retain balance, or look at http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/reel_tuning.html

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
possibley had a slight noise at first and is geting louder.

I have played with the tension nut and have never over tightened it
If the noise has become worse it does sound like as wilba and spill say there is some kind of sand or grit caught between the spool and the cage, my first course of action would be to strip the reel down and give it a good clean and see if that sorts the problem, if there is still a noise after doing that try as spill says and balance the spool by trying different types of line lay - it does take a bit of time but is worth it. My preferrred way of doing this is to go down to an empty beach(not always possible) and cast as far as you can then walk backwards stripping the line off the reel and reel in again trying different line lays at the start and then recasting. this may have to be done 3 or 4 times until you get it right but when you do you will hear the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts