World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by a mate to get a Penn 525 from the USA on my next trip. As i need to order this model i called the store yesterday and they said they no longer stock this reel because so many have been returned with problems.
On that basis i suggested he picks an alternative equivalent reel. Trouble is i haven't a clue what is a good quality equivalent. The store suggested a Shimano Calcutta 400 which is a bit more than the Penn but highly recommended.
Can anyone help us out here? The Penn retailed about $130 or £120 in UK.
The Shimano is $220 so quite a bit more.

Thanks for any feedback.

Freddy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go for the shimano i would have thought they generally know what there doing with reels and gearing!!
I'll leave it to Drew to tell you several reasons not to buy the Penn.

Cheers Dunce

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and i'll wait for Drews comments.
Funny how all the Penn 525's are going off E-bay at well over £100 so they are still popular here in UK.

Freddy

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this sounds off topic but just read on.

I used to work in a large motorbike shop in London. We used to sell one brand of waterproof clothing and it was OK. We then got a fantastic deal from a rival company to become the UK's main dealer and we got very large discounts if we took the stuff in bulk.

If someone called up to order the first range of stuff (That we sold off cheap) once the stock had gone, guess what we used to say??

"We stopped selling that brand because they leaked like a sieves and we had so many returns we went over to the other brand". We then proceeded to sell them one of the new ones.

Is this wrong or just business!!!!

I am not saying this is what happened to you but it may pay to shop around as they are getting very good reviews by other anglers around the forums.

Bob

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Penn Super Mag can be bought in the UK for about £95.

The Shimano 400 is a bit smaller and does not have magnets - also if it's for distance casting get the 'CT' version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Super Mag, and although I've only used it a couple of times it seems a superb bit of kit. Time will tell I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts