World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Supermag Xtra arrived this morning and I've been giving it a try out down on the quayside.

At first sight I was a bit dubious about the mag adjuster sticking out of the end plate, thinking that it would get in the way when retrieving and maybe even accidentally get turned onto a different setting, but that was not the case at all. The ratchet on it is very positive and the knob, when resting against my wrist on the retrive, caused the reel to sit a little more upright which assisted line lay. The magnet travel is much greater than on the Supermag, and with the extra magnets I think it would be very difficult for a novice to overrun this reel with the mags full on.

As for myself, I've what I'd call moderate casting abilities - around 100yds being my top limit. I started casting with the mags on full and gradually wound them off a couple of notches for subsequent casts until I found my optimum setting at just before the halfway point. I find this distance adequate for most of my fishing, and a simple casting style achieves it. However, I've been thinking of getting more into beach fishing, in which case I'll be working to improve on it. If I do, then there is plenty of adjustment left in those magnets if it is required.

Another good thing about the new style of adjuster is that it can be altered while the lead is in flight, after the initial surge, as I've heard of people doing with the old knobby Mag. I gave this a try on a couple of casts and it seemed to make a difference, even with a moderate amount of power applied.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this reel. I know some prefer ABUs or might baulk at the price, but for me it is probably the only reel I'll ever need for the bulk of my fishing and is worth the price. :)

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
If it's good for you mate it's got to be worth the money:) i have been a big fan of the 525mag ever since i first used one 5years ago,i used to use abu/diawa reels but wont use anything but 525/535's now-got 8 in total.
ive not tried the new one as i will wait till ive worn out the other 5 525's i have (be quite a while i think)lol,

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I own a 525GS, 2x 525 Mag (original and a newer 525 Mage Xtra. IMHO they are the best reels on the market. A true allorunder, but perhaps just a bit to heavy for surf fishing. What i like about them best is that they are easier to service than an Abu, and they seem more hard wearing than the Abu's. Although i still like my collection of Abu's, don't get me wrong they are good reels just not my favourite.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i have 20 odd abu's lying round never use them nowdays :schmoll: sold a few a while ago sold the daiwa's too 525 all the way:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You don't have any Abu 6500's 5500's or 6600's for sale? I you have any CT versions in good condition i may be interested.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
sorry mate but that was what i have just sold all mint too:g: the only ones like it i have left i use over grass.65's/ultra mags

1 - 6 of 6 Posts