World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a new multiplier reel. It will be used for fishing onto clean ground mostly. From what I have read the Penn 525 is suitable for all situations, yet the Abu 6500 type of reel is only suitable for clean ground but is still popular .... what advantage has an Abu 6500 got over a Penn 525?

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
The penn is a better reel m8, in my opinion anyway!!! I think the penns have stronger drags and are just more rigid and tougher than the abu!!!! also lovley to cast with the magnetic system!!!!

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
IMHO the penns are rubbish, trapping line between spools, weak frames and feel like a bag of bolts reeling in

The abus will cast further than the pens if set up rite ( new Abu with v spool harder to balance. ) and you get alot of corrosion on the foot of the Abu unless u give it a rite good clean after every trip with tooth brush.

Horses for courses fella.
New abus not that good old Abu they just fly ;)

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Trying to compare a 525 to a 6500 is like trying to compare a landy disco to a ferrari. The disco (525)is good over the rough but suffers with problems and the ferrari (6500) is good over clean but will get trashed on anything else. If its clean ground only then the 6500 is what you want if its anything else then i would go for a saltist or avet as there are too many line trapping threads on the new mag2 525 and 515 for me to have any confidence in them.

sent from my new GT I9100 As some little scumbag robbed my last one

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I dont really understand the rough ground/clean ground thing. Surely both reels are capable of cranking in a good fish and maybe some weed with it?
Has the Abu got weak gears? Another reel I was looking at is the Akios cmt which I believe is very much like the Abus.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
go for the 525, I've got the mag 2 and its excellent, casts like a dream......don't be put off by all the doom and gloom merchants on here.....expect most of them have never used one, just a story they've heard somewhere!!:clap2:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've recently purchased an AKIOS 651 CTM having owned various Abu 6500 sized reels over the years.The Akios is very impressive and performs well in all respects and well as being well built with quality materials.Basically they've copied a 6500, but made it better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The main things required of a 'rough ground reel ' are a high retrieve rate, and a large capacity spool to hold enough of the larger diameter line required for fishing over rocks. The Penn is an excellent reel that has a good spool size, that will handle lines of 0.35 to 0.45 diameter, and has a fast retrieve. However it can behave a little wild with the lower diameter lines, which is where the Abu excells.
It all depends on how clear your ground is. If your going to fish with 12 or 15lb line I'd say the Abu, or akios.
If you need something with more cranking power, and sometimes fish a bit heavier go for the Penn.
Personally I find the Penn best with 18 - 20lb lines.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I use a slosh30 with 25 pound line for throwing conger and huss baits so I got that side of things covered. The Penn 525 seems to be the more versatile but is expensive compared to the Akios .. and so for that reason I am leaning toward the Akios now.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have used abu 6500 in all the diffrent guises over the years and mine have coped well up to mixed ground,but i dont use my reels as a whinch i use the rod for what it was intended for.
I also have a penn 515 and as long as you wash out the bearings then add a few drops of red rf there will no issues,i have had no probs with line down the side of thev spool but i have heard some have.I am a competant caster but the abu is defo better for distance it will cast at least 20yds further in my opinnion and some nights that could be the diffrence between cod or no cod. if you can afford it save up or get a second hand 7ht mag there is nothing better in my opinnion.

Rich

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 515 and 525 mag 2. The 525 casts like a dream and retrieve is really smooth. The 515 not quite as good. Not sure why as the only difference is line capacity. Yes the line does tuck behind spool if you get a loose birdie but ive also had this happen on a 6500.

525 mag2 definately worth a look at.

My final opinion would be if you go for a clean ground reel then your limited to any venues you may want try. If you get a rough ground reel you can use it on both types of grounds.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Trying to compare a 525 to a 6500 is like trying to compare a landy disco to a ferrari. The disco (525)is good over the rough but suffers with problems and the ferrari (6500) is good over clean but will get trashed on anything else. If its clean ground only then the 6500 is what you want if its anything else then i would go for a saltist or avet as there are too many line trapping threads on the new mag2 525 and 515 for me to have any confidence in them.

sent from my new GT I9100 As some little scumbag robbed my last one
Oi, a 525 is far more reliable!!

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear.

At least try and give a realistic comparison.

Right, both 'new' reels are a pile of poo made to a horrifically tight budget in far off bongo bongo land.

For the rough stuff its an avet 5.3mc
Distance is an old 6500 mag, rocket, black, elite etc etc
Mixed is a speedmaster, calcutta, origional 525mag

Thats it, end of story. Most of which ive listed I dont like, but, a quick forum search reveals that they are the most popular.

G

·
IMHO the penns are rubbish, trapping line between spools, weak frames and feel like a bag of bolts reeling in

The abus will cast further than the pens if set up rite ( new Abu with v spool harder to balance. ) and you get alot of corrosion on the foot of the Abu unless u give it a rite good clean after every trip with tooth brush.

Horses for courses fella.
New abus not that good old Abu they just fly ;)
penn usa is a better fishing reel for all situations ive had mine over 10 yrs got 8 in total all mk 1s

abu's are good for casting but no guts when a decent fish on simple

the mk 1 penns are awsome made in usa ,,,, im not fussed on the mk2 made in china ,,, not as good imo

penns are fishing reels

abu's are casting reels

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Abu's ( the old ones at least ) are fine if you use them properly.

Remember what they were originally designed for - throwing smallish baits or lures a long way. They're not designed for "cranking" or "winching" as referenced elsewhere, but then again why would you want to do that ? Maybe on rocky marks or from a cliff / pier where you need to winch the fish up, but you'd be mad to use an Abu in those circumstances.

I've had a pair of green elite's since they came out, and other than a few dents from dropping them on rocks ( see the "mad" comment above ) they're pristine. When I get a decent fish ( few and far between recently ) I use them as the maker intended - as a line storage system - and use the rod as it's designed - as a shock absorber and lever.

Small reel + decent fish = pump and wind. Not a difficult equation really.

Penns have always looked very plasticky to me, and I've seen a lot crack around the sideplate screws. That doesn't mean that they're all like that - just my perception.

Everyone has their own favourites as far as reels go, but most decent reels will be OK if you use them in the terrain and manner they were designed for.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts