World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of good reviews on here about the Penn 525 reels. Im starting to wonder if they are that good after all. :g: I have read countless reports on here about the reel screaming during casting and I also have the same problem. I have two Abu 6500 mag multipliers and neither of these scream during casting. I was told that it is the line being out of balance but I have balanced the line and still the problem persists. Are alot of people on this site sucking up to Penn just because they have a couple of guys posting on here or are they that good?

I have asked on here many times for a review of something before I go out and spend the cash. It always seems that I don't get a bad review until after I have purchased something and posted about the problems im having on here, then all the bad reviews come out.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I have read alot of good reviews on here about the Penn 525 reels. Im starting to wonder if they are that good after all. :g: I have read countless reports on here about the reel screaming during casting and I also have the same problem. I have two Abu 6500 mag multipliers and neither of these scream during casting. I was told that it is the line being out of balance but I have balanced the line and still the problem persists. Are alot of people on this site sucking up to Penn just because they have a couple of guys posting on here or are they that good?

I have asked on here many times for a review of something before I go out and spend the cash. It always seems that I don't get a bad review until after I have purchased something and posted about the problems im having on here, then all the bad reviews come out.
My old 525gs runs smooth as silk and is bulletproof. I use it for rock fishing and light boat fishing. Just oil it regularly. I had the mag version which was fine too but for the rock fishing I do were you are casting no more than 100yds the old 525 was fine and I sold the mag one on.
No idea why your reel would scream. No oil or too thin an oil in the spool bearings?
No connection with Penn the reels are good.
All my other boat reels are Penn too Senator 6/0 and 4/0.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My old 525gs runs smooth as silk and is bulletproof. I use it for rock fishing and light boat fishing. Just oil it regularly. I had the mag version which was fine too but for the rock fishing I do were you are casting no more than 100yds the old 525 was fine and I sold the mag one on.
No idea why your reel would scream. No oil or too thin an oil in the spool bearings?
No connection with Penn the reels are good.
All my other boat reels are Penn too Senator 6/0 and 4/0.
So is it a case that the reel is good for close in work over rough ground and not so good for whacking it out as far as possible on a clean beach?

I love the retreave on the reel especially when I have picked up a load of weed but the casting on the Abu is alot smoother. I also stripped the Penn about 2 weeks ago cleaned, oiled and glued a couple of the mags in place, so it is well serviced.

·
Banned
820 Posts
So is it a case that the reel is good for close in work over rough ground and not so good for whacking it out as far as possible on a clean beach?

I love the retreave on the reel especially when I have picked up a load of weed but the casting on the Abu is alot smoother. I also stripped the Penn about 2 weeks ago cleaned, oiled and glued a couple of the mags in place, so it is well serviced.
The Abus are very smooth and great clean beach reels. And not wanting to get any one upset about how fragile they are but I no longer have one as the Penn does me for most things, and as I said is bulletproof. The gears on the Penn are a lot tougher than the 6500 Abu ones too.
How far do you want/need to cast? My 525gs puts out 175 yds in the field and about 150 with bait when I want to.

The old gs model I have has a different spool spindle set up to the mag versions. The mag one spins on bearing in the spool like the Abu on the shaft. The gs spool is part of the shaft and that revolves in the endplate bearings.
The mag Penn I had was bought used and the bearings were a bit noisy during the. I replaced them and it was much quiter after that.
Maybe that is the problem?

There has to be some reason your reel is making that screaming noise?
I'm surprised no one has came in to offer advice to you on this one?

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
never got on with the mag i had, it would never tolerate you making a mistake the slosh is a better rough ground reel and will not birdy every time you dont get the cast just right,:) only an opinion though get a slosh 20

·
Banned
820 Posts
never got on with the mag i had, it would never tolerate you making a mistake the slosh is a better rough ground reel and will not birdy every time you dont get the cast just right,:) only an opinion though get a slosh 20
Good reel. Same spool setup, bearings and centrifugal brakes just like the Penn 525gs

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really need a reel for rough ground as I mainly fish clean beaches like Chesil. It is nice to have the Penn when the weed is ripping up the solent but otherwise I just want the multiplier to cast as far as possible, I would stick to fixed spool if I never wanted to cast further.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hello Bagstar, i own a few Penn 525,s and have sold a few ,they have all been silent ,however i run all my bearings with thick EP 80 oil in them ,don,t be under the impression that this will hardly let them spin because they still cast a very long way ,they just do it quietly .Why not try removing your spool bearings then give them a proper degresing ,let them fully dry then refit and spin the reel nice and fast and listen ,there is a chance you may have slightly damaged one of the shields on the bearings while removing them or refitting this would cause noise ,it maybe that they have been used with water in them or water has got in whilst cleaning and damaged them .However if it spins ok after a clean give them a few drops of the thickest oil you can find and try again ,hopefully it should be quiet ,i think a lot of people make life hard for themselves by using too thin an oil in these reels ,make life easy with some nice thick stuff

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mags are glued in correct yes. I balanced the spool by removing the line and then putting the first lot on uneven, a bit on one side then the other, then the middle then level it out, repeated until the spool spun up smoothly and stopped smoothly.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I have never had to p*ss arse around doing this to my Abu's to stop a noise. Perhaps I will try to get some new berings.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have 5 525mags and only ever get the problem when i have changed all the line on the spool,some balance better than others but all go quiet after a bit of work. i must admit it does my head in too:uhuh:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hello Bagstar, i own a few Penn 525,s and have sold a few ,they have all been silent ,however i run all my bearings with thick EP 80 oil in them ,don,t be under the impression that this will hardly let them spin because they still cast a very long way ,they just do it quietly .Why not try removing your spool bearings then give them a proper degresing ,let them fully dry then refit and spin the reel nice and fast and listen ,there is a chance you may have slightly damaged one of the shields on the bearings while removing them or refitting this would cause noise ,it maybe that they have been used with water in them or water has got in whilst cleaning and damaged them .However if it spins ok after a clean give them a few drops of the thickest oil you can find and try again ,hopefully it should be quiet ,i think a lot of people make life hard for themselves by using too thin an oil in these reels ,make life easy with some nice thick stuff
All good advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts