World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of getting a second reel, I have an original penn 525mag, what's everybody's opinion on the competition?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a pair of original penn tournamags " knobby's " and a penn mag extra " slidy ". I also have a 7ht mag for lighter work.

:fish::fish: :fishing:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also have a Penn 525 Mag, and love it!!:thumbs:

I recently got a Penn 535 (non mag) as a second reel and I think its also great. A lot of anglers rate it as a rough ground reel.

It doesn't cast as far as the 525, but you can still get a good distance with it and its built like the proverbial brick s**t house.

·
Registered
381 Posts
abu 6500 ct mag elites they cast futher than any other reel penn 525s every 1 loves them personly i think there crud not a good reel at all
sorry penn 525 users

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
depends what your going to use it for, how far you plan on casting, what line you plan on putting on it. For distance casting, over any sort of ground from rough to clean, penn 525 in all variations takes some beating although the 7HT Mag is also a cracking bit of kit and equally well built. For rough ground, thicker mono, when distance ios not so much of an issue then the trusty Daiwa slosh in size 20 or 30 will surpass your expectations and survive years of abuse thanks to excellent build quality. Also, you'll get 2 Sloshes for the price of 1 penn mag if you shop around!

Personally I've stayed clear of Abus due to bad reports from many anglers I fish alongside and also from members on this forum. They have their followers I know and I'm sure they are excellent casting reels but from what I hear the internals are prone to all sorts of issues with gears stripping, ratchets failing etc. They don't make them like they used to!

Can't comment on the casting performance of the grey's mag as I've never used one but again have heard the spool release button has a tendency to re-engage when the reel is being cast, and again can be easily knocked off releasing the spool when retrieving, as you can imagine causing a big birdnest every time, something to do with the design, where the button is its too easy to engage / disengage during normal use. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
abu 6500 ct mag elites they cast futher than any other reel penn 525s every 1 loves them personly i think there crud not a good reel at all
sorry penn 525 users
If Penn's are "Crud" why you put them as your favourite reel in your profile? :roll1::roll1:

agree abu mags will cast further but will they stand up to years of punishment without mechanical failure or the need for meticulous maintenance? Distance has a lot more to do with the ability of the caster on the end of the rod than the equipment being used, a properly set up 525 mag or supermag in the hands of a competant caster will fly well over 200 yds they will also stand up to years of use and abuse over rough ground, generally a better built reel in my opinion.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
slosh sha/shv is in my opinion the best choice because abu's as said are now chinese rubbish, 525 cages are made of cheese and crack when farted on and i dont know alot about the greys g mags so i cant comment on them. the sha/shv dont ride the gears when in free spool like the old slosh so it will fly just as far as the rest with the added bonus of it being built like a tank

·
Registered
146 Posts
just out off intrest, why do think penns are crud? thanks

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
What about the new AKIOS, there are 6 models to choose from, its got a good write up in Sea Angler, on sale from Aug 1st.
problem with that is until someone, with enough money to waste on a reel they might not like, steps up to the plate to buy and try then its a bit of a lottery. we all know sea angler aint give a company a bad report as its been well documented on here about a certain rod company:shutup::shutup:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have Penn super mag and very happy with it.
I also own abu 6500 ct c3 mag pro & an Elite.

I have been brought up on Abu's and they are my preference over all.

I get similar distance with both types of reels. I still lean towards ABUs but try and get a genuine one (sweedish made) from a reputable local registered ABU supplier not a middleman or the cheap crap that sells on fleabay.

Also there are spare parts readily available I find for tweaking & maintenance purposes.

Can't comment on the others as I dont own them but have had a bash with the 7HT's but not used them on a sustained basis.

I did have my head turned with a Shimano Calcutta 4000 bs, it was a bit blingy but heard nice comments about it.

Buy what makes you happy GL.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If Penn's are "Crud" why you put them as your favourite reel in your profile? :roll1::roll1:

agree abu mags will cast further but will they stand up to years of punishment without mechanical failure or the need for meticulous maintenance? Distance has a lot more to do with the ability of the caster on the end of the rod than the equipment being used, a properly set up 525 mag or supermag in the hands of a competant caster will fly well over 200 yds they will also stand up to years of use and abuse over rough ground, generally a better built reel in my opinion.
coz i had 1 liked it on the first sesion and as i kept on using it i didnt like it sold it and that was the supermag extra then i borught a 525 gs thinking they mite be better but no and cant be arsed to change my profile

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
had all sizes of ABU's from 5000s to 8000s and all the CT's and mags in between but for long term durability and fishing performance the 7HT is a better reel.

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
had all sizes of ABU's from 5000s to 8000s and all the CT's and mags in between but for long term durability and fishing performance the 7HT is a better reel. Had a pair of 7HTs since their release in early 90's and they still look and function as new.

G

·
having had/have all the reels mentioned thought i'd throw my two penneth in.
525 penn - very disappointing, I found mine to be rougher than rats on the retrieve, this was on the supermags, not sure what the new ones are like now but the experience put me off penns for life
Diawa - quality reels all models.
abu - I use the Chrome rockets, love them to bits, no problems with them over the last 12 months.
Greys - apart from the slower retrieve (which isn't a bad thing, as it seems more powerful) casts well, great control, better than the Penns all round.
just my opinions on these reels as I have had/still own them, no offence to owners of said reels.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts