World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded braid spool with 50lb whiplash crystal a few days ago and dosn't feel nice to cast at all, maybe just as its new braid, anyone else got the affinity and use braid, if so how do you find the braid spool? on my shimano reel last year i normaly put some thick mono on behind the braid to fiil the spool and seemed to cast off smoothly with no probs everytime but somehow dosnt seem to fill right

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
ive only recently filled mine. i used 35lb whiplash on the braid spool. i ended up with a small gap at the back of the spool [with loose coils] and a small lift at the front.

i put one of the extra washers [supplied] under the spool. went to a local beach, put a 6oz lead on. i put the pead on the beach at one end then walked back letting out all the line. once re wound back on the line lay was perfect.

i did have problems tieing on the braid though. the 2 small holes in the spool are too sharp edged. everytime i tied it the braid snapped. i ended up just putting it through 1 hole and tieing a load of granny knots to form a lump. a tiny bead might have been a better option.

·
Registered
66 Posts
anyone else got the affinity and use braid, if so how do you find the braid spool? on my shimano reel last year i normaly put some thick mono on behind the braid to fiil the spool and seemed to cast off smoothly with no probs everytime but somehow dosnt seem to fill right
Found the line capacity too little. Loaded .21mm dyneema spectra braid, didn't have more than 20m left for fishing. No backing done, just Uni Knot and put an arbor tape over it. The knot is placed at the bottom, spool extended upwards. The mono spool requires no spacer, the braid spool needs 2 which is supplied in box. Found it cast too well, on par with my Shimano/Daiwa. My only complaint is the line capacity, that's why I only use it for beach ledgering. No shockleader used, 80lb braid to cast 5oz.
Not sure what you meant by doesn't feel right though.
20140313_004042.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts