World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a couple of Penn Fathom 15s. Not sure whether to go for monomagged MK1s, or the new SD15 (not casting special). Other than the braking systems, are there many differences between the two?

Cheers,
Brodie.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have had both much prefer the mk1s magged by Russ blakdog forgot to say mine are 12 not 15 the mk2 12s seem to have bigger gearbox end then the mk1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had both much prefer the mk1s magged by Russ blakdog forgot to say mine are 12 not 15 the mk2 12s seem to have bigger gearbox end then the mk1
Thanks seer, is there much difference in terms of the build quality? That would be my main worry with them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I own both the fathom mk1 and mk2 in size 15. I personally prefer the mk1's mono magged by Chris Macey. I play with the brakes during the cast so the mono magged is much easier. The mk2's are built well and hold just over 300 yards of 20lb 0.38mm line as do the mk1's, I just find the mk2's fiddly when trying to change the brake adjustment. Thats the only problem I have with it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Penn fathom mk 2 has unique feature of a fast gear access side plate this enables u to get to heart of reel main gears for easy maintenance without taking out handles,knobs etc almost instantly think abt 3 screws only.
I've read the mk 2s all the models are lovely for casting/cranking etc((so many reviews) if u were to choose I'd be the mk 2s for sure coz this freature is lovely for easy maintenance to keep your reel in top condition it's no fuss maintenance !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts