World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved a second hand 525 gs today. I've had no experience of these reels before, only the mag versions.
I took off the sideplate and discovered 4 small metal pins and 4 brake blocks, all unattached to anything, just rattling around loose.
Does anyone know, what should I do to set up the braking system correctly? I expected there to be 1 or 2 long metal pins, not 4 small ones, might they have snapped in half or should they come like this? Do I actually need any form of braking in the reel or should I leave it out?

in addition, the reel is 5 years old, what should I do to restore it? I've added some Penn oil to the bearings and other moving parts, it appears to be running a bit smoother now.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Recieved a second hand 525 gs today. I've had no experience of these reels before, only the mag versions.
I took off the sideplate and discovered 4 small metal pins and 4 brake blocks, all unattached to anything, just rattling around loose.
Does anyone know, what should I do to set up the braking system correctly? I expected there to be 1 or 2 long metal pins, not 4 small ones, might they have snapped in half or should they come like this? Do I actually need any form of braking in the reel or should I leave it out?

in addition, the reel is 5 years old, what should I do to restore it? I've added some Penn oil to the bearings and other moving parts, it appears to be running a bit smoother now.

Cheers
thats how they r m8t,
its up 2 u how many breaks u want 2 use but i would just use the 2 m8t 2 start with:) just take 2 out & make sure the other 2 run free on the pins & u r set:clap2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Penn 525 is bomb proof in general, more so that any of the 525 mag variants … Underneath the blocks is a ring, it has different cut outs, these allow movement of the blocks, spin it round by hand and you will see it will allow some block to move but not others, you simply move it till you have the desire movement for the number of brake block you choose. Each block has a small tag that limits their range of movement, simple but clever … sounds complicated but it’s very straight forward, the Penn 525 GS is by nature a slow’ish reels, and all the better for it.

Maintenance wise they are as tough as they come, on an odd occasion it is possible to get grit in the one way bearing that’s the one behind the stardrag, supports the gear pinion, Penn call it a gear stud, a quick clean and your off again … I have yet to come across a reel of its size and price that is tougher than the Penn 525GS … it certainly a lub and use reel! …

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, I've now got it cleaned up and fitted with brakes.
I've put all 4 pins in the white plastic rotor, and set the brake blocks up so that 2 are restrained, and 2 are free to move about (using the adjustable ring mentioned above)
Will this be ok, do you think?

I'd been looking at diagrams of the 535 and 545, which have a different set-up I believe

·
Registered
308 Posts
Two blocks should be fine, give it a go ... over-runs are more the fault of jerky casting than an over fast spool ... you've a good reel there. I know a lots of people praise the 525 mags more so than the 525GS, but that is a distance seeking effort me thinks ... personally the most important thing with regards to casting further isn't speeding a reel up, its smoothing out casting techniques ... anyhow tightlines

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice, tested it yesterday and it casts just as well as my penn mags. Very impressed with it.
Only thing was, on getting it home I unscrewed the plate and found the brake pins and blocks had all fallen out. Could I correct this with a tiny amount of superglue, or might this do some damage?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts