World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My International 12LT has a lovely smooth drag and originally I used it for offshore gilling and Blue shark with 12-20lb class tackle.
Now there are smaller reels available for those tasks - Avet and similar - I want to upgrade the 12LT drag to use 50lb braid for Common Skate.
Have caught one Common over 100lbs on it but as I expected even with me over adjusting the drag (loosing free spool) I got nowhere near the right drag setting for 50.
There used to be custom reel shops in USA but they required reel sent in.
Does anyone know if drag kits - cam etc - that can be purchased for self - fitting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I recall reading on some site that they can ... the name of the site eludes me at the moment … basically the problem fix was for the leverdrag progression to be altered (cam lobe profile change) and modified drag, whether the drag was a home made affair I’m not sure but it rings a bell that it might have been.

Try looking at this site and others like it, it might help you out … tightlines

http://www.senortuna.com/main/forumdisplay.php?f=35

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recall reading on some site that they can ... the name of the site eludes me at the moment … basically the problem fix was for the leverdrag progression to be altered (cam lobe profile change) and modified drag, whether the drag was a home made affair I’m not sure but it rings a bell that it might have been.

Thanks for the link. Save it for later, something to browse.
I remember reading of these cams in an American sports magazine several years ago. Thought by now there would be some 'home fixes' available.
The 12LT is a bit big for much of my fishing and would like to use its strength and capacity (with braid) for the only British fishing I feel it now suits.
I also have a 50SW which deals with skate just great. But what a lump it is. Think it looks good on display.:showoff: Not too many marlin up my way though.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

You could try re arranging the 4 Belleville washers (the little dished spring washers on the right hand side of the reel). They come from the factory like this ()() you need to change them to this (()). This will increase the maximum drag at the expense of having a wide range of drag, I'm not sure if it would give you enough drag to make full use of 50# line though.

G

·
If you go much beyond about a third of the BS of the line for the drag setting you start to potentially find yourself in hot water with either dodgy knots (we all tie em) and the drag increasing as line leaves the reel.

15lb to 20lb of drag is about as much as you would ever want from 50lb braid on a full spool at strike and that should be huge amounts of drag to stop virtually anything that swims... A UK80lb class rod only has a test curve of about 16lb.

I am surpised you can't get your little international to load up to 15lb of drag or a bit more? Have you put it on a spring balance?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go much beyond about a third of the BS of the line for the drag setting you start to potentially find yourself in hot water with either dodgy knots (we all tie em) and the drag increasing as line leaves the reel.

15lb to 20lb of drag is about as much as you would ever want from 50lb braid on a full spool at strike and that should be huge amounts of drag to stop virtually anything that swims... A UK80lb class rod only has a test curve of about 16lb.

I am surpised you can't get your little international to load up to 15lb of drag or a bit more? Have you put it on a spring balance?

Hi Tom,
Few months since I posted this question. I will rig it tomorrow and check what the max drag is - seem to remember it was 10 - 12 lbs.
I tried it for skate fishing but even when the range adjustment was adjusted to the point of loosing free spool I still had to clamp my hand on the spool even with the lever fully forward.
That was with a Team Daiwa 30-50 bent double.
The reel has the capacity to hold ample 50lb braid and is very well built - but the drag is really for light tackle game fish. Not something that can hang like a 100 lb+ skate.
I was given some links that led me to US custom shops but they require the reel sent over.
I have an International 50 two speed that does the job easily - but it seems such overkill! Matched with a solid glass Penn Mariner stand up
rod (£40)
The International 12 is a nice reel for blue shark though. Had just one blue of Plymouth though not really a prospect up here. Yet!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try checking out the Alutecnos Albacore Gorilla 12 Reels, if for nothing else, interest alone. These are in a totally different league to the likes of Avet etc

G

·
Or speak to Stan M about the Everols.

I am very surprised about the lack of drag. Even the tiny little Avet SX (my blue shark reel) provides 9lb out of the box and will give massively more if required.

Yep, the 50W is a little over the top! I used to have a virtual fleet of Finnor Wides and they are completely impractical on stand-up as the balance is totally thrown out. You need to use those in a chair.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Um....I guess you're going to struggle with a '12'. As you've identified to get 25lbs of drag 'past the button' it will be albut impossible to, at the same time, achieve free spool.

It was essentially the southern Californian machine shops that first attempted to solve that problem when upgrading reels - but not 12s - to give a casting capability with livebaits but similarly fight huge Yellowfin Tuna on stand-up gear. Wasn't one of the first Carl Newell?

I've tried a quick 'google' but nothing's coming up in terms of kits to achieve what you're describing. But if there's anyone on the forum that might be able to suggest a supplier I suspect it's Roger (aka the Ravelling Tangler).

MerseyAngler did suggest one such US forum whose members might provide your answer. Others worth trying are the message boards on http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/ (Long Range and Tuna) and http://www.sdfish.com/ (the 'SD' stands for San Diego).

Rather than attempting to customise such a small reel - as you've suggested it's great for red gilling and Blue Shark fishing - it is perhaps worth looking at something from the Accurate range - http://www.accuratefishing.com/. They're equipped with twin drags but come with a fairly hefty price tag!

Alternatively with perhaps your 50 you could try investing in a New Zealand 'Black Magic' harness.
Dave

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
G

·
I own an accurate 665 and it is a stunning little reel.

Hugely expensive piece of kit, but a joy to behold and use.....

But

I have recently sourced a new Penn International TRQ200, which is mini in size (Abu 7000ish), but monsterous in power. Granted it is not a lever drag, but (Gary Caulfield correctly if I am wrong), originally designed for casting live baits to giant Yellowfin and the like.
I would begin to suggest that it has the edge over the Boss for smoothness and power a dit comes out a couple of hundred quid less....

The power from these little toys is phenomenal and incredibly smoothly applied. Well offering 32lb of drag and taking 450 yards of 50lb braid it would be bang on for Skate and, believe, anything swimming in European waters.
The only downside to a reel like the TRQ for a fishing method that may involve a lot of pure brute force and whinching is that the gear ratio and retrieve is very high at 41" of line per turn of the handle. This shouldn't be too much of a problem if appropriate stand-up techniques are utilised, but from what the old Skate ledgend himself (Davy Holt) tells me, Skate techniques are different from other stand-up techniques.

I know if I ever get up to Skate country, the reels I'll be using will be either my Penn Formula 10Kg and 15Kg two speeds or for a little more finesse and balance, my TRQ200.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom,
Have not had the chance to check the 12 drag today.

You have mentioned a couple of carbon framed reels for skate fishing.
Here is a photo of my TLD 25 - after a brief (but awesome encounter) with something in the Firth of Lorne:

It was not brimmed with line then - it is used just to store line now.
I had 80 lb braid and a Team Daiwa 30-50 rod.
After a powerful run there was a 'crack' like a pistol shot. I was left with the reel hanging from the harness and the rod in my left hand. The fish stopped and for a few seconds I thought if I could lift the rod with my left hand and still reel with my right I might have a chance.
As soon as I tried the fish took off again - I dropped to my knees, wedged myself against the rail and prayed for the line to break. It did fortunately, on my own at 4 am and attached by a kidney harness. I fished that mark for the next 24 hours for just one 14 lb conger.
That reel was bought 2nd hand after catching several skate. I had a few more and a 250+ porbeagle. So no shame on Shimano for it eventually giving up. It was meant as a light sporting reel for smaller, fast moving fish.

G

·
I have to say, that is an impressive photo and whilst the TLD is a very substantial reel (and i suspect more a flaw in the material than a lack of physical strength in the reel), I would hazard that the Penn Formula's are tougher still.

Mine are loaded with 65lb braid and I would like to coax tehm into action if and when I finally get up to fish with Davy. If they snap in half I will very happily eat humble pie and possibly stir fry bits of the reel too.

Tom

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could try re arranging the 4 Belleville washers (the little dished spring washers on the right hand side of the reel). They come from the factory like this ()() you need to change them to this (()). This will increase the maximum drag at the expense of having a wide range of drag, I'm not sure if it would give you enough drag to make full use of 50# line though.
Just serviced the 12LT and got 14 lbs drag with the lever in the full position.
That was with the range adjustment at the point I was just loosing free spool - the strike lever position then gave me 11 pounds.

Then I tried the Belleville washers in the arrangement you suggested and it was impossible to get more than just a few pounds drag out of the reel.
Anyway as a 30lb reel it is very good, so I will settle for that. For free swimming fish that's all I will ever need.
Not so good for skate as there are times when you have to lock the spool just to get the beasts moving. I will have to use a glove for that - last time I tried without the glove I scorched my thumb. Braid is not very kind that way.
If I am feeling rich in the next couple of years I will check out some of the other reels suggested.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Pelamid
I know one of the options suggested (and discounted?) was something from the Avet range. Have you had a look at their latest offering – the HOO-X? It’s a reasonably priced – just over 400$US - two speed offering – 2.4:1 in low gear - but gives 26/28lbs of drag ‘out of the box'. Should be man enough to grind up one of those flatties. Weighs 26 ounces. Here’s one of the US retailers urls - http://www.cabbagekeyrodandreel.com/AvetHOO-X.html.
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts