World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rod not Braid

Hi there. Thinking of buying my self one of these rods they look great but I can’t find any info on them apparently Penn withdrew them from there catalogue but they still have 40 odd in a wear house? Any one know why? Does anybody own one or had a go of one? Was looking at getting myself one in the 20lb-30lb class range. Any help would be great:unsure: :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Glasgow Angling Centre had a them a few weeks back both 12-20 and 20-30lb

I have the 12-20lb and it's a nice rod to use - not very sure if there was much difference between that and the Tidecutter
( or the waveblaster as it is now ) other than the gold lacquer and decals ??

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Pm one of the Caulfield brothers they'll know if it's a good deal!And probably if they are genuine Penn rods or cheap copies!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got here as quick as I could!:)

Yes, the International Dynabraid rods are being run out - not enough left for us to to any blow out on themor something daft.

Only reason they are moving out is their replacement with the new Affinity Boat rods - which are completely different.

As to the Dynabraid rods, they genuinely are great little rods - similar idea to Tidecutter, but different blanks (nothing like Waveblaster).

Were sold in combos with the 975 & 975LD International reels - that's why they were chromed in gold.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Can only quote RRP, as we cannot sell direct to the public - expect to see full RRP of between £200 - £225 for the 2 models - you might be able to get combos with reels, line etc for around £300.

C

·
0 Posts
I cant wait to see the new Affinity boat rods. What price are they likely to be?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lads check fleebay southend angling i got mine. be quick only a few left. paid 150 odd quid but this rod will be lasting me a life time

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I got one when they came out with a 975ld. The rod and reel were superb, 12-20lb class, had some class tope on it and they were well matched. However, the gold finish scratches very easily and looks tatty very quickly. Doesn't take away from the action of the rod which is spot on. I am considering removing the gold finish as it looks so bad but the rod is too nice not to use. I will probably just remove it and refinish in in highbuild.

The reel is another matter. It is corroded solid after 2 seasons of use. I had to replace the handle after 1 year, It simply folded due to corrosion where it is attatched to the spindle. It is by far the worst Penn reel I have ever bought and I have 30+. Garry has offered very kindly to have a look at it and give it a refurb for me if I ever get round to posting it to him. I loved it when it was working but I have simply lost confidence in it and wonder if it is worth trying to save it.

Just my opinion and I admit my gear gets a lot of hard use and very little maintenance through the season, the other Penns I have seem to be OK with this, just the 975LD that has let me down.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got one when they came out with a 975ld. The rod and reel were superb, 12-20lb class, had some class tope on it and they were well matched. However, the gold finish scratches very easily and looks tatty very quickly. Doesn't take away from the action of the rod which is spot on. I am considering removing the gold finish as it looks so bad but the rod is too nice not to use. I will probably just remove it and refinish in in highbuild.

The reel is another matter. It is corroded solid after 2 seasons of use. I had to replace the handle after 1 year, It simply folded due to corrosion where it is attatched to the spindle. It is by far the worst Penn reel I have ever bought and I have 30+. Garry has offered very kindly to have a look at it and give it a refurb for me if I ever get round to posting it to him. I loved it when it was working but I have simply lost confidence in it and wonder if it is worth trying to save it.

Just my opinion and I admit my gear gets a lot of hard use and very little maintenance through the season, the other Penns I have seem to be OK with this, just the 975LD that has let me down.
:schmoll: :schmoll: :schmoll: oh [email protected] :schmoll: thats the set up i have went for. just hope i dont have these problems as it aint exactley cheap gear. I was told the penn 975LD reels are cracking and will cover me for all my boat fishing which i intend to do. Fingers crossed huh

p.s would there be anytypeof varnish which is highly flexable that coulbbe applied to rod to ofer some protection???

·
Registered
20,444 Posts

;) Another problem I found when I used to service reels that the bearings were liable to seize if not lubricated at least once a year. If looked after lasted a lifetime. Still got a BNIB 975LD as not sure if spares are still available as Penn reliability isn't what it was I hear. Perhaps DC can answer on this one. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts