World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going in circles, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Stuck between these two reels for fishing a variety of marks. If it was your money which way woud you go and why. Can get the mag 4 525 for £160 and the fathom 15sd mag for £150.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The fathom is the better built reel it casts just as well as the 525 if you don't like the handle on the fathom you can retro fit the nice double handle from the fathom 25 levelwind or the handle from the 525 Mag 4.
The fathom is the better choice albeit weighs a little more

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Personal choice. I'd take the toughness of the fathom over saving a bit of weight with a mag 4, especially if you plan to fish a variety of ground.

Fathom is a metal frame compared to an essentially plastic one on the mag 4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At at a tenner cheaper for a metal frame, more drag than id need for the line weight and fish im likely to target the fathom is the reel im leaning towards but i keep thinking id be better off with a lighter reel. Thinking about it id be daft to spend more to get less.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fathom handle is not very nice in the hand were fathoms handle is lovely i find mag 4,s cast better out the box tho imo my fathoms blew up loads of times were my mag 4,s never blow up maby i just need to clear the grease out and rocket oil them

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Fathom handle is not very nice in the hand were fathoms handle is lovely i find mag 4,s cast better out the box tho imo my fathoms blew up loads of times were my mag 4,s never blow up maby i just need to clear the grease out and rocket oil them
That's not my experience of the fathom II 15 at all, the mags are very powerful, if set to max you don't even need to thumb the spool to a stop, very safe reel.

My mk1 fathom with the Phil stares mono mag did have a few blowups, usually my fault of course. But not yet with the MK2.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Do the fathom II and mag4 use the same mag setup? If so there will be very little difference between the two, are the mag4 spools aluminium also?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think both are pretty much the same reel except ones "plastic" and the other is metal. Same spools and magnetic set up. Think im going down the fathom route its 2oz heavier but in real turms thats probably nothing really on the beach

·
Registered
66 Posts
  • Penn Fathom II SD 15
  • Full metal body and side parts made of metal
    Fast aisle access side shield
    Machine-cut marine grade bronze main gear with hardened stainless steel and onion
    Versa-Drag ™ system with HT-100 ™ washers
    Lively spindle with a freely floating bobbin
    Plant capacity rings
    6 shielded stainless steel ball bearing system
    Immediately reverse locking warehouse
    Specifications:

Roll size 15
    Maximum braking force: 30 lb / 13.6 kg
    Packing: carton
    Line capacity monofilament yd / lb: 355/12 305/15 200/20
    Line capacity monofilament m / mm: 325 / 0.35 275 / 0.38 185 / 0.46
    Roll Holder Position: Right
    Color: Black Gold
    Anti-reverse equipment: Repair anti-reverse
    Spooled with string yd / lb: Not Pre-Spooled
    Brake material: HAT-100
    Brake system: Magnetic
    Coil material: aluminum
    Without spare spool
    Line capacity braided yd / lb: 550/20 415/30 290/50
    Technical details
    Ball bearings: 7
    Weight: 485 g
    Gear ratio: 6.1: 1
    Line capacity: 275 / 0.38 m / mm
    Brake type: star brake
    Line retraction: 76 cm
Penn Mag4 525
adjustable magnetic brake system
Side plate with quick gear access
6 + 1 shielded stainless steel ball bearings
Frame and side panels made of lightweight graphite
forged and machined aluminum spool
Main gear and pinion gear made of stainless steel
Live spindle system
Brake system with HT100 brake discs
Specifications:

Maximum braking force: 20 lb | 9 kg
Packing: carton
Line capacity monofilament yd / lb: 280/15 245/17 185/20
Roll Holder Position: Right
Color: Black / Blue
Anti-reverse equipment: Repair anti-reverse
Brake material: HAT-100
Brake system: magnetic
Coil material: aluminum
without spare spool
not pre-spooled
Line capacity braided yd / lb: 510/20 385/30 270/50
Technical details
Ball bearings: 7
Weight: 439 g
Gear ratio: 6.1: 1
Line capacity: 255 / 0.38 m / mm
Brake type: star brake
Model: right hand
Line retraction: 73 cm

Hi , I don`t have the Reels in Question , I have a couple of Fathom II CS, and a 515 Mag4, I like them !. I can though compare the Mag4 V Mag3. The Mag4 is ,in my oppinion a lot better. Better Spool Bearings, and a much better Freespool lever design. If it was upto me Buy both. I reckon both Reels will be up to doing your Fishing. Hope this helps you . All the Best 🍻

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok bit of a curve ball, fathom cs or mag 4. I know the cs has a higher capacity spool but as for feel which do you prefer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Oz, I don´t mind a curved Ball as I love my armchair Rugby. Because of Covid I´ve only fished with the Fathom CS, on the Beach,Holland and Reefs mixed ground and clean in France. Great Reel. When you forget to set the magnets like I have in a head on wind, you definatly have enough line to carry on when you have a Birds nest. I´ve only used the Mag4 on a friends field and to be honest, there is not a lot of difference in casting. I bought the 515 M4 to fish lighter on the Beach or Reefs as I think it has enough grunt. Me personaly will give the 525M4 a miss as I have the Fathom II CS, but probably buy another 515M4, once I`ve fished with it!. So at the moment, I find both Reels good!. I´m not helping much with your Choice! So I´ll sign off, Happy Trucking from a Petrol Tanker driver.
All the Best
2Balls 🍻

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's not my experience of the fathom II 15 at all, the mags are very powerful, if set to max you don't even need to thumb the spool to a stop, very safe reel.

My mk1 fathom with the Phil stares mono mag did have a few blowups, usually my fault of course. But not yet with the MK2.
Mine is the phill stairs mk1 m8 probly me lol🤣

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Oz, I don´t mind a curved Ball as I love my armchair Rugby. Because of Covid I´ve only fished with the Fathom CS, on the Beach,Holland and Reefs mixed ground and clean in France. Great Reel. When you forget to set the magnets like I have in a head on wind, you definatly have enough line to carry on when you have a Birds nest. I´ve only used the Mag4 on a friends field and to be honest, there is not a lot of difference in casting. I bought the 515 M4 to fish lighter on the Beach or Reefs as I think it has enough grunt. Me personaly will give the 525M4 a miss as I have the Fathom II CS, but probably buy another 515M4, once I`ve fished with it!. So at the moment, I find both Reels good!. I´m not helping much with your Choice! So I´ll sign off, Happy Trucking from a Petrol Tanker driver.
All the Best
2Balls 🍻

No, pal your helping just fine. Seems im just going to have to go with my gut. From the replies both seem like tidy reels and im not going to go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The Mag and Fathom are like reels from a different maker in terms of build, the Fathom giving a solid dependable feel with none of the cheap looking and feeling parts of the Mag. They cast very similar, as they are basically the same spool and bearing assembly. Check out Keens guns and tackle and look for a CM model (Chris Macey) for the Fathom. These are in your price range and come with modified mags and tuned bearings out of the box. Best 'standard' reel I've ever bought! Still, what do I know? I still fish mainly with original Mag1s and love them, though they have the solid feel of a modern Fathom, not Mag4.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi SiDfsh, from what I understsnd the CM Mod is only the mag Knob, from standard the Fathom II, and Mag 4 have better spoolbearings already. Do you own a Mag 4?

🍻 2Balls

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Had one and it offered less than my Mag1s, same with the 2 and 3. The Fathom has massive gears for heavy ground/big fish, casts as well as the Mag1s (or 4) is better put toghether and can cut it as a boat reel as well so may end up as my go to reel for everything. I have a lot of redundant tackle and use it (including Mag 4) to fund new rods/reels, presently being an Avet, which I'm not really impressed with, see posts elsewhere here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi , I understand what your saying, I hope the 515 Mag4 does what I want it to do, light with a bit of bollocks, I´ll see how it pans out. I only buy one at a time untill I´ve tested the first to my requirements.As said above the Fathom II CS is a great reel. Sorry to hear your having probs with the Avet. Take care and 🍻

1 - 20 of 31 Posts