World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mag 4's are great reels. Have a pair of 525's and 515's. All this about 'plastic' cages makes me think FFS. How about the mk 1's that many hold in high esteem....wasn't that a 'plastic' cage? Regardless of where it was made.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Mag 1s have a composite cage of carbon plastic and metal cross (CT) cage bars, built like a tank. You could probably run one over and only bend the handle. The spools never rub like the 2s and 3s. takes a LOT of force to twist the frame atall. Best ad is 25yrs+ of use and abuse (dropped on rocks countless times) and still work perfectly with occasional new spool bearings and a good clean/lube once a year. I also like the lack of any styling, just chrome knobs and an anodised spool. I've converted mine to knobby mags, just prefer it (slidey is adequate), and have two 'as new' stored for if a used one fails. I honestly reckon that the 'spares' won't be used in my lifetime!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Had the penn 525 mk 1's, four of them, found them to be noisy and rough on the retrieve unlike the Slosh's/shimano speedmasters they were in competition with, so much so I sent them to Penn (Ewan in Scotland ?) to look at as I could not believe a reel costing what they were at the time could be so bad, ending up getting shot of them, stuck with the Speedmasters and Slosh's till the Silver Saltists came out. may have been me expecting to much from the reels, but truthfully found the Slosh's etc much smoother on the retrieve.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
That's strange, I've got five mk 1s and the retrieve is very smooth on all of them. Not in the same league as a Shimano Calcutta Conquest I have, but that reel cost over four times as much for it's original owner and would hardly stand up to being dropped on carpet, let alone rock. The Fathoms feel smoothest of the Penns

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My fathom arrived this afternoon and im well chuffed with it, not as heavy as i was worried it was going to be, feels solid built with a nice positive click on all the adjuster knobs. Off down the fields tomorrow with it and my new afaw 6 and bait that came yesterday to see if this noob to multipliers can birdie it on the first cast. Mags to full lol

21 - 26 of 26 Posts