World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have got all the prelims out of the way. Thanks for the info on Cefn Sidan and the offer of a trip tonight but I'm all fished out CS beach today.

My next quest is to service my two Mags. They are 2 years old and have never had any TLC.
They both sounded a bit ropey today and so I thought I'd give them a service.
Now I've done my own Abu's for years but I have never done a Penn.

Any do's and more importantly DON'TS would be appreciated.
What lube is best for these reels.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just take the side plate off, 3 simple screws, and then slide it out. You'll the see the magnet plate with your magnets on.

Leave that as theres nothing that can be done to it, apart from take them out for a faster spool. You can then slide the spool out.

Theres a little whit plastic cog bit on one side of the spool, leave that and turn it to the other end, where you'll see a little 'C' clip. Get your finger nail under it and slide it off, (difficult to explain), then slide the metal bit out, you'll see it! Then the main pin will come out. Then you'll see the bearing inside, tap the spool untill she comes out, and put it on a piece of tissue paper. You will have some Lubricante with the reel when you bought it. Plop a little of this on each side, and then place it all back together as you took it apart.

You can the turn the spool round again, and pop the plastic cog off where you'll see another bearing. Do the same with this one.

Then just genrally give the area under the spool a clean, and wipe off. Try not to get water inside the reel, but give it a little wipe around.

Then stick it all back together as taken apart, easy peasy!

She'll then fly like a gooden! (Ooh, a tip, you can dip the bearings in lighter fluid, this works well, if you smoke?!?)

Churs, Ben

·
Registered
747 Posts
great info ginge the only other thing i use is petrol to clean the bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts