World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've only been shorefishing for a short while, and have a fixed spool setup. I'm going to set myself up with multiplier gear as a second outfit. I'll be fishing South Wales/Bristol Channel marks mostly. I've always liked Penn gear and am looking at the 525 multipliers, but I'm confused about the number of different models GS,Mag, etc etc. Could anyone who uses these reels please share their impressions of them. I don't mind paying out for the top of the range ones if they are of any real benefit. One I do like is the idea of the magnetic brake which I think might be useful to a newbie like me. I'm after reasonable distance and a tough reel which will handle fairly rough ground fishing. Thank in advance for any help.
Penn

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Penn

OK, here goes:

The 525GS is the original model which has centrigfual brakes. This is a good reel to learn to cast with because it has a large bearing which means that the spool is controlled well during the initial surge of the cast.

Then came the 525 mag - lossely based on the 525GS, but mag brakes replace the centrifugal ones and I think the whole bearing/spindle set up changed as well. Great reel, but a bit lively for some (especially newer multiplier users) but thicker oil or 2 more magnets tames it (both solutions cost mere pennies).

Final step on the evolution was the Supermag - a 525Mag but with more magnets (6 instead of 4) and better quality bearings.

I use a 525mag. It does everything I ask of it. I was suprised at the speed of it when I first got it out of the box and fished with it, but since then I have set it up to suit my needs and it behaves impeccably. My only complaint is that I find it easy to knock the slider into the 'fast' position without noticing. Result = birdsnest even on the smoothest of casts. It amazes me how many times I accidentally knock the slider without noticing. I am now in the habbit of checking before each cast.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Manx,

Would you not consider that a serious design fault, it does'nt happen with the Mag Elite!!!

After you have landed a huge cod, in your excitement, you might just forget to check. Then!!!!! ''disaster'' a birdsnest, a few oaths, and back to the Mag. (only joking)

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Drew

I think a birdsnest caused by the excitement of a huge fish would be a small price to pay for catching a monster :D but yes, I agree it is something that could be improved - thats the beauty of forums like this, we get to see the good and bad points of tackle that you will never get in a review.

The slider issue is an irritation to me (Am I alone or has anyone else suffered from this ?) but I don't think it affects the inherent qualities of the reel.

As my profile says - not sure which reel I prefer Penn Mag 525 v Abu Mag Elite ... but it is probably true to say that if the Abu came with a line out alarm then I personally would get more use out of it than I do now. Now that's what I call a serious design fault ;)

The great thing is that none of this really matters because at the end of the day the fish don't care what reel we use :D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you are fishing rough ground in my opinion fixed spool reels of a good quality are a far better tool than any multiplier.

Fixed spools like the Shimano Aerlex are about 60 quid , are well built, easy to cast and as you do not want to be blasting to the horizon anyway are the business. They have strong gears and a fast retrieve, essentail for getting your gear or gear plaus fish up and away from snags.

Having said that my mate uses a penn 535 GS over rough ground and its a cracking reel , virtually imopossible to mess up, quite a fast retrieve for a multiplier and with the brakes on is perfect for lobbing a bait over rough ground. If you fish a rough ground area and want a multiplier, this is about the best at around 70 quid.

If you want a two rod set up go for a penn surfmaster for cleaner ground and a shimano aerlex for the rough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who have replied so far, some good advice there. As I said Bluebeard I already have a fixed spool set up (Penn Venom Extreme, Okuma Axeon AX 10,000) and I have no real complaints, I'm just interested in learning the pendulum cast and being able to get out a bit further when required. The main reason is I like the idea of having two set ups with me when I fish, gives the ability to chop and change with baits distances etc. I get your point Drew about the lever thing being an issue, I don't fancy having to check that every cast! Do all the 525s have this "feature" Manx? I think I've almost decided to go for one of the 525s But I'll wait for a wee while and see if others have a major prob with lever. Now I think I read Drew giving off about Penn "bundles" in one of the forums :) (if I'm wrong then sorry) but one of these bundles would suit me fine, if they are genuine. It would be nice to have advice about the rod as well so thank bluebeard, but I was going to come back and annoy you all about that later!!
Thanks again and keep it coming, I want to be as sure as I can.
Penn

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Penn,

We are only too pleased to help. Our answers are only opinions. We all have our likes and dislikes and are more than happy to pass them on to other people.

My views regarding "Penn" (I hate the word) are personal. If the truth be known I love the Penn International 12-20 boat rod, (please don't tell anyone) I have borrowed one on quite a few occasions and it is a dream of a rod to fish with, but I cannot for the life of me bring myself to buy one on principal.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Drew Don't worry about it, my respect for Penn reels comes from from many moons ago when I used to do a lot of boat fishing in North Ireland, (where I'm from) rod was an ugly stick 50lb class and reel was a Penn Senator 6 HS, that reel did the biz on so many occasions! (Heavy pirking over deep wrecks). Gave up boat fishing after nearly being drowned a couple of times, (literally!!) stuck to spinning of the rocks for pollack with freshwater eels, brilliant fun, and blanking was unknown. So now I need some new kit , so stick with what you know works!
Cheers again for all the input, will let u all know what I finally decide on.
Penn. BTW when I was joining WSF I couldn't think of a name so I just picked the name of the new rod I bought, I'm NOT fanatical about Penn!!! :)))))

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you are fishing south wales the tide is very strong, if you combine this with rough ground you need a strong rod.

The Ron Thompson Axecellerator is without doubt the best rough ground rod at around 100 quid, the Excellerator is a mixed ground rod but good as well.

The top brand rods are obviously good as well but I swear by the RT range for those of us on lesser budgets.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hi penn m8, these guys av given u some great advice, but personally i wouldnt use a mag reel in the early stages, i have a penn 525 gs. and an abu 6500 ct elite, and have had great performance, all i need really. but am using them for the boats now, as my eyes are terrible now, but i av a few fixed spool reels that do the job now, one being the shimano aerlex , 8000,, as mentioned by bluebeard, and as you are local, gary evans has got them 50quid brand new, if this helps.. the 8000 is the biggest model, i no they do a 6000, and another one, but i went for this one and i like it..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i have penn 525 mag and a penn sidewinder
evo 1 casting weight of 4-7oz . it is a combo price
of £250 it might sound a bit exspensiveits but not that bad
when u consider the penn mag 525 mag reel by it self is £100 plus
and the rod is £200.

no its not

the fault someone mentioned earlier with the reel isnt on all
of them as mine is fine "!

hope this helps
rock hopper

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for your input, I'm a bit more aware of the options now, and when I finally make my choice I'll hopefully will be gettin the new kit soon,
Penn

V

·
0 Posts
interesting to read manx fisher on this one,not sure that the same problem has occured with me(?!) but will certainly be keeping a close eye on it.as for which reel is best,that can only be answered by venue and conditions,after all it's not how big yer worm is,it's how you wiggle it that counts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts