World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst fishing with a friend not very long ago on the coast of scotland, I was admiring his new Penn Nor'easter. A long solid stick of a rod for fishing the rocky areas, hence the name.Imagine my surprise when he tried to pull his sinker free from its grapples and the top 2 foot of the rod snapped cleanly off. We both stood for a few seconds unable to believe our eyes,watching the tip of his rod sink into the murky depths. Has anyone else had similar problems with penn rods or is this just a one off. Would like some feedback as i am concidering buying a penn rod myself but now i am thinking twice.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
have you contacted penn????

they may replace it

not heard of penns popping but greys are known for it

macky <_<

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes hes going to take it back to the dealer. Had no idea Greys rods were known for it, thought they were quality rods. Thanx for the tip.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Since Greys moved production from Britain to the far east they have begun to use cheaper materials in the production of there rods and it has only been since this relocation that the rods have been known to break or pop or at least this what I believe. Take note Greys.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have not heard of penn rods popping before. i know a few people that have been using them for years now. i have used a 13&#39; penn extreme match 2 for about 4 years. didn&#39;t like the build and the rod itself was a little heavy. other than this, the blank has rarely let me down to this day. i have heard good reports on other forums about the Nor&#39;easter, sorry to hear about the mishap.

cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts