World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi " I am thinking of buying 2 new reels am looking at the Penn affinity 8000 's and also come across the Penn sargus 11 8000 ? Anybody had this reel as it looks a nice one and casting as i need all the help i can get cheers :confused:

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Two Shimmano Ultegra's either the XSC 10000 or the 14'000 just over £100 around £120 far better than the penns or if spending less Daiwa emblems 5/6000 £60
Problem sorted! Next please!

Plus the cash you save on not repairing/replacing the penns in next year or so can put towards casting lessons!

Always here to help move along now yes please can we help you lol

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Spot on there I've had them all out of them all I've kept my diawa emblems love em

Reactions: SALTY Tone

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Shimano do arbors and so do Daiwa the 5/55/6 is same just shallower spools like wise the 10/12/14 is same body shallower spools the 10 comes with a 6000 size

A shimamanoo addict will be along soon they can give you the full run down

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
you can get the speedcast which is ultegra with less bearings and one spool mind some come with 2 now read you can replace bearings for few quid from bushes the 14'000 £90
they do a smaller one which has same body as the techniums style.
theres some 14'00 XTC's C14 around for £170's

Also there's the Okuma salt trio rex for just over £100 all in fr4ont of the penns for my money some do ok with them but QC is appalling plus the handles corrode and bails plus some have had the stem snap but the killer is the worm drive for spool which takes out main cog and that's made out of 2nd hand noodles!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can get the speedcast which is ultegra with less bearings and one spool mind some come with 2 now read you can replace bearings for few quid from bushes the 14'000 £90
they do a smaller one which has same body as the techniums style.
theres some 14'00 XTC's C14 around for £170's

Also there's the Okuma salt trio rex for just over £100 all in fr4ont of the penns for my money some do ok with them but QC is appalling plus the handles corrode and bails plus some have had the stem snap but the killer is the worm drive for spool which takes out main cog and that's made out of 2nd hand noodles!
Thanks for the heads up I am upgrading from diawa emasts 5500 they been good but both worm drives are fubered' and tin worms have had there way so that's the main reason I want to upgrade so they last a few years ' I will def check those reels out but why are Penns that bad is it build quality ?

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
hi yes made out of ??? soft as sh!te many come out of wonky conkies in China made for them and others but QC is dire as the 525 mag 2's some have line go behind spool others don't some have spool rub as bearings move in ends but others are ok F/s whole list of bits to go wrong and do like stems breaking handles break/corrode/rollers wrong/failing.then the worm drives fails which takes other bits out as forces casings some are lucky some rae ok with repairs but if some rae ok and many not tells you something A about quality B what they think of anglers using it all just think were mugs to get max profit for tiny outlay as a Venture capital business not interested in fishing just max profit but have killed so many names of gear like JRC/Chub/Greys and yanks are pretty mad with what they have done to Penn plus bent ABU over the table and royally screwed it as not much from ABU i'd consider unless get in a good deal as if buying new i'd go Akios.
ABU rods are all farm rods from pure fishing

·
Registered
277 Posts
Love shimano and have a few, but also been using 2 x penn affinity LC 7000 on my 15 & 16 ft rods and never had a problem in 3 yrs. I get better distances with them than I do with my multis (probably because I'm still sh1te with a multi)
Although I respect tournamags posts and advice, don't consign everything that's not shimano to the bin.:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love shimano and have a few, but also been using 2 x penn affinity LC 7000 on my 15 & 16 ft rods and never had a problem in 3 yrs. I get better distances with them than I do with my multis (probably because I'm still sh1te with a multi)
Although I respect tournamags posts and advice, don't consign everything that's not shimano to the bin.:)
Thanks ' I think I made my mind up the affinity's will suit me and my fishing and some great advice from another wsf member as well that knows his onions on these reels (FL') I'm ordering later thanks again, Tony.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts

If you read above haven't consigned to bin as said Daiwa and Okuma also but if we keep buying expensive cheaply made gear we will never get any decent stuff to fish with in the end.
I know someone that got a pair of Affinity's the LC versions and they said ok but not for anything heavier than clean beach and they know there onions.
one thing they do have is titianium spindle so should improve strength

·
Registered
548 Posts
Get yourself ultegras 10000 they will out last the penns and if anything goes wrong all replacement parts are readily available .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts