World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I have a Penn Multiplier Boat reel Model No 85.....What is the threaded cap covering a compression spring in the centre of the side plate on the opposite side to the handle for? &nbsp;Sorry about ending a sentence on a preposition&#33;</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Mature Student,

Only me again&#33;&#33;&#33;

If its anything like the Abu, it is for adjusting the tension of the spool.

Undo the knob until you can move the spool slightly from end to end, then tighten the nob until the end play in the spool is taken up. then slacken off a quarter turn. The spool should be free to revolve without any tension.

Hope this answers your question

Drew</font>

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks once more, will try......Tony.</font>

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I believe it is the break tensioning cap. To set the reel up to the correct breaking speed, attach a the reel to a rod and attach a weight to the end of the line. Then all you need to do is adjust the tension cap until the weight drops from the tip of the rod at a steady and controlable rate.

To make things easier I suggest that at first you tighten the cap to the maximum and then slowly adjust it until you reach an excepatble rate of descent.

Hope this helps, oh by the way the cap underneath the handle and star drag is the spool float tension cap this controls the amount of play in the spool adjust this until there is very little side ways movement and the reel should be set up.</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Folks,

You are quite right fishing_fanatic, however as mainly a boat angler I prefer to keep my spool &#39;free running&#39; and use my thumb as a break. With having to change weights and rigs all the time, and with the addition of a boom I would be spending most of the day adjusting the tension on my reel. By using my thumb I am in control at all times.

Cheers

Drew</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts