World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a sailor gearing up to make a roundtrip from Europe to the Caribbean. Of course I'll want to do some fishing, mostly trolling lures behind the boat wherever I go. For this I've found myself some Penn tunasticks and two Penn senator 114's to go with them. The Senators are both second hand though, and neither are looking anything like the gleaming, shiny reels they once were. However, I know the older "Made in USA" Penn reels have an excellent record and they clean up nice and work like a charm.

Now, I've refitted my entire boat and have taken apart MANY a mechanical boat-part to clean/grease/refurbish. I'm fairly confident I can take it apart, clean it and put it back together again, but as I've never really worked on these reels I'm not too sure what to look out for, what bits to check for wear/tear and what might be needing replacement.

Another thing I'm in the dark about is cleaning the metal bits that have some salt corrosion. Just attack them with steelwool? But then they will obviously loose any shine they had left and perhaps the protective coating as well.

Does anybody have any experience with these (or other similar models?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,140 Posts
Hi there,

I'm a sailor gearing up to make a roundtrip from Europe to the Caribbean. Of course I'll want to do some fishing, mostly trolling lures behind the boat wherever I go. For this I've found myself some Penn tunasticks and two Penn senator 114's to go with them. The Senators are both second hand though, and neither are looking anything like the gleaming, shiny reels they once were. However, I know the older "Made in USA" Penn reels have an excellent record and they clean up nice and work like a charm.

Now, I've refitted my entire boat and have taken apart MANY a mechanical boat-part to clean/grease/refurbish. I'm fairly confident I can take it apart, clean it and put it back together again, but as I've never really worked on these reels I'm not too sure what to look out for, what bits to check for wear/tear and what might be needing replacement.

Another thing I'm in the dark about is cleaning the metal bits that have some salt corrosion. Just attack them with steelwool? But then they will obviously loose any shine they had left and perhaps the protective coating as well.

Thanks!
:happy: Nice diagrams , if you have the HT100 drag washers as shown, keep them, if you have the "old" asbestos ones change them for the new ones shown. Very important, don't lose the little spring on the anti-reverse pawl, second picture I think. Very simple reels to service. As you're "going tropical" use the heavier Penn oil and grease. Good luck, with the reels and fishing. :happy:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have the old low speed black side plate 6/0 Norm and it's still silky smooth, all I have ever done very rarely is open the side plates up and give them a greasing, can we still get bits for them?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have the old low speed black side plate 6/0 Norm and it's still silky smooth, all I have ever done very rarely is open the side plates up and give them a greasing, can we still get bits for them?
Yes. Phone Mick Simons on 01 386 552949.He will be able to supply you with pretty much anything and also offer some excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks!
I use an old 6/0 for shark that I picked up very cheaply second hand. The plating was in very poor condition and the brass underneath was corroding. I just rub it down with steel wool and let it be. It has no effect on the workings of the reel. One tip. Once the spool is clean smear it lightly with Vaseline before loading it with line.It won't harm the line and will prevent further corrosion. Wash the reels off carefully in fresh water after use, dry them naturally and they will last for years. These reels are built very well indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts