World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a penn powerstik, by post, via the GAC.
Rings damaged so phoned them up.
I actually drove 150 miles for a day trip to Glasgow and swapped, no problems, the rod there.
The only problem with the replacement was it was difficult to get the rod together/ apart (well, almost impossible)
Some vaseline (tips from this forum) has put it right.

Problem though. I got a surfmaster 850 when I was at the shop.
Tried it today. When you wind the crank, when it oscillates to its least point, it sticks - forward or reverse. I tried a basic strip but can't see why it is doing this save taking the whole thing apart - which I am not wanting to do.

This means that a slow wind will always stick. With a bit of a fast wind (quite fast really), it does not stick but surely this real should not do that.

This is the third bit of Penn kit I have ever bought and each has had a problem. I was going to get a PPT (when I had the cash) but have gone right off Penn so far.

I am loath to send it off back to GAC (cos of the cost) and won't be driving to the shop that is for sure.

It would be interesting to get advice or hear if anyone else has had these problems - especially with the Penn Surfmaster.

(I only got the real because of all the positive reports on it - maybe I was just unlucky or it is made this way?)

Sawfish

·
Registered
477 Posts
I actually drove 150 miles for a day trip to Glasgow and swapped, no problems, the rod there.
The only problem with the replacement was it was difficult to get the rod together/ apart (well, almost impossible)

Tried it today. When you wind the crank, when it oscillates to its least point, it sticks - forward or reverse. I tried a basic strip but can't see why it is doing this save taking the whole thing apart - which I am not wanting to do.

This means that a slow wind will always stick. With a bit of a fast wind (quite fast really), it does not stick but surely this real should not do that.

This is the third bit of Penn kit I have ever bought and each has had a problem. I was going to get a PPT (when I had the cash) but have gone right off Penn so far.

I am loath to send it off back to GAC (cos of the cost) and won't be driving to the shop that is for sure.

It would be interesting to get advice or hear if anyone else has had these problems - especially with the Penn Surfmaster.

(I only got the real because of all the positive reports on it - maybe I was just unlucky or it is made this way?)

Sawfish
Give Ewen a call on Monday 0141 814 6565 and he'll get you sorted straight away

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David

Is Ewen from GAC or Penn. I was not sure whether to get back to GAC (I got the gear last week - Friday to be exact)

I am really looking forward to trying the reel and rod together.
Think I may have just been unlucky so far.

Thanks for post

Sawfish

·
Registered
696 Posts
ive got an 850, brilliant reel, never had any problems with penn. I have had a few problems with GAC though. I would recommend veals mail order, they are brilliant! im sure most people will agree with me.

martin

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Any problems with ANY Penn reel or rod, call Ewen at Penn 0141 814 6565 between 9.30 & 4.30 Mon - Fri

i got a penn 160 multy, problem is its crap lol

Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Helpful!
Might not stand up against modern reels as it was designed & launched in the 1960s - the fact that they were only discontinued about 5 years ago maybe says that a few people might still have one - again, if you have a problem, we probably have the spares to help.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Helpful!
Might not stand up against modern reels as it was designed & launched in the 1960s - the fact that they were only discontinued about 5 years ago maybe says that a few people might still have one - again, if you have a problem, we probably have the spares to help.

thanks m8 i was only kidding ,in fact ive had it for about 15 years and never had a problem with it .

cheers

Mark

ps you get a 5 star for the second to none customer service :) top class

·
Registered
164 Posts

Sawfish
Had this happen with a surfmaster 70 once. What had happened was when changing to the spare spool, the metal cog that rides on the spindle had, with adhesion from the grease, stuck to the spool I had removed and I put on the spare without realising, this meant of course the spool would oscillate several mm lower than it should and stick. Dont know if the surfmaster 850 has the same cog or if you have changed spools, but it might be worth a check to see if this is the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts