World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just after peoples reviews or opinions on a few reels, I'm still very much so a novice at fishing and looking at the selection of reels is a little overwhelming. But I'm looking at 4 in particular, Penn affinity longcaster 7000/8000, Penn surfblaster 7000/8000, Shimano aerlex xsa 8000 or Shimano speed cast 14000 xsb.
They are within a £50-£100 budget, I'm in south Wales fishing mixed ground aswel as clear ground.

What are your thoughts or pointers.

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Veals has an offer on the spinfisher LC would think they are better than all of your suggestions
Alternatively save a few pennies more and get an ultegra.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Shimano. All day, every day. Not even a contest in my book.
I'm still using two Shimano reels I bought more than 20 years ago off the beach. They still run sweet as a nut and the line-lay and drag are still precise. My Penns are in Cuba, where I gave them away. The noise they were making, I thing they're probably being used as coffee grinders. Poor line-lay too.
The Shimano Ultegra 10000 XSC is an outgoing model and therefore falls within the top end of your budget. As Chukka says, it's a no-brainer.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Agree with marktheshark all the way. Ultegra 10000 or 14000 xsc still in shops but superseded by xsd model so well worth looking around and haggling. I managed to nock 30 quid off a discounted ultegra 14000 xsb a few years back when the xsc came out. Hard work finding a shop that had one but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Shimano Beastmaster (the cheaper of their line of reels and I reckon that is a better reel than my two Surfblasters. The Penns line lay is better but for everything else the Shimano seems much more refined and durable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the feedback, looks like I can't go wrong with a shimano. I've looked over the ultegra range and makes sense to spend a little extra if it's going to last that bit longer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Speedcast is an ultegra with less bearings and one spool you can change nylon bearings for ball bearings and bring right up to reels above ultegra's XSC was a bit flimsey in frames many complained just hope learn't lesson and XSD is better line lay/workings are very nice on XSD!
Also have a look at the Daiwa Emblem around £60 new bullet proof forget emcast "shocking"!
Speedcast 8000 is not same body as the 14000 8 is similar to the Aerlex/Beastmaster/Technium style where as 14 is ultegra styled plus 10.12.14 are same spool just arbor larger/smaller outside is same plus 5500 and below is smaller bodied reel 6000 which don't get now just spool size and upwards ie 10/12/14 are the same reel body so spools interchangeable.
XSD they just do the 14'000 atmo but comes with arbors.

Depending on where/what fishing for choice! to a degree as if need max distance a longer spool/good line lay needed/helps esp if using light line but if fishing likes of walls/piers/rougher ground/big tides like severn! esp with weed then go with a more sturdy reel like the Aerlex/beastmaster/speedcast/Emblem etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts