World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help previously. After much deliberation i am now going to buy either a penn waveblaster 12-20 or a 20-30 with a penn 320ld and 30ld Dynabraid. After looking at the rods i think they are superb and both would be perfect for fishing in Norway this summer. What i want to know really is if the 20-30 is more a 30lb class rod or a 20lb class when fishing. I plan to use the rod in the UK aswell for tope, conger, ray and pollock. If anybody who owns one could tell me what they are like and which is best suited to what i want it for then their help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
hi iv got both in 4 peice modles this is a little more tippy than the 2 peice one id say 12/20 my mates are using them for sharks in the keys but the 20/30 is a good allrounder its just down to how much lead you need to use
for the conger holding botton you may meed 12oz+ id go 20/30 as the 12/20 tip is a bit soft also the 20/30 will be better perking too
i told you you will like them go for the 320ld as very slim rods to keep it balanced use braid the combo is a good price wi free braid and line

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i think its the way to go iv asked garry from penn to post some photos then others can see how good a rod it is i would hace gone 2 peice if it was not for the photos

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
do what i did get them both
try the 20/30 first you will be supprised how forgiving it can be your a bit furter north than me so go with the norm where you fish what suits you the 12/20 is g8 for fun but a bit soft for around whitby mainly use it for shads etc a good rod for tope i use it for freelining for them going to use it for blue shark this year

·
Registered
256 Posts
do what i did get them both
try the 20/30 first you will be supprised how forgiving it can be your a bit furter north than me so go with the norm where you fish what suits you the 12/20 is g8 for fun but a bit soft for around whitby mainly use it for shads etc a good rod for tope i use it for freelining for them going to use it for blue shark this year
Makgas, you need to step up to 30/50 for the blues m8

·
Registered
588 Posts
i think its the way to go iv asked garry from penn to post some photos then others can see how good a rod it is i would hace gone 2 peice if it was not for the photos
Would love to - if I knew how! Well, here goes...! CNV00002.JPG

CNV00011.JPG

First one is a Waveblaster 4pce 20-30lb, on a 115lb Nurse Shark in Florida.

Second pic is a Waveblaster 4pce 6-12lb on a 45lb Cod in Norway.

Pics are by Dave Paulding (The Monk), Dagenham.

DEFINITELY go for the 4pce - I'm not joking when I say you wont even notice it is a 4pce. The bend just goes right through the rod - no flat spots. Quite simply my fav Penn rod ever.

T

·
0 Posts
Makgas, you need to step up to 30/50 for the blues m8
Why?

This is supposed to be a sport not a commercial fishery where you have to stop the in their tracks and skull drag them.
Blues are relatively light weight and don't have huge amounts of stamina. You'd be an animal if you used that sort of gear. That's out of the 70's in the old days of looe.

T

·
0 Posts
Would love to - if I knew how! Well, here goes...! View attachment 14091

View attachment 14092

First one is a Waveblaster 4pce 20-30lb, on a 115lb Nurse Shark in Florida.

Second pic is a Waveblaster 4pce 6-12lb on a 45lb Cod in Norway.

Pics are by Dave Paulding (The Monk), Dagenham.

DEFINITELY go for the 4pce - I'm not joking when I say you wont even notice it is a 4pce. The bend just goes right through the rod - no flat spots. Quite simply my fav Penn rod ever.
I put a 20/30 through it's paces on a conger trip recently and it was hauling 50lb eels in three knots of tide from an anchored boat with very little fuss. I have the 4 piece and can confirm what Gary says. You'd never know it was a travel rod.
My usual Conger gear is 12/20 or even plane 12lb class (sometimes 6/12!) and all of that equipment will handle very much larger fish than some of our 50lb class forum members realise.
The rods will take the fish comfortably, what the rods don't like is the amount of lead required asit is a pure dead weight. Set the rod you choose to the lead you need to get down and stay down.
That is why, on pelagic species like Blue Shark itis possible to use improbably light gear and easily stop them. Sometimes you may need 2lb of lead for congering and then, unfortunately you will need a 30lb class rod, but other days you can sue jus a few ounces and go right down to a 6/12 and still stop 7 foot snakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The action on both rods look superb and I'm tempted to go for both !!!

However, for jigging and fishing in places like Florida I much prefer to use a fixed spool reel.

Are these rods compatible with fixed spool reels or are they rung for multipliers ?

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
The action on both rods look superb and I'm tempted to go for both !!!

However, for jigging and fishing in places like Florida I much prefer to use a fixed spool reel.

Are these rods compatible with fixed spool reels or are they rung for multipliers ?
:fishing:The old style blue ones are rung for multi's with narrow rings but the new ones have bigger rings, although they are still rung for multi's. Both are superb rods though.:fishing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts