World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Anyone know how These Fellas are securing the top hook on their pennel rigs? I use the top hook running on the line and wrap the line around 3-4 times method, but sometimes find it slides up/down the line and tears the bait. These guys seem to be using some sort of knot to secure the top hook?
Any help always appreciated!:thumbs:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Theirs a couple of methods used...

This one -http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Knotless%20Knot/knotless_knot.htm
I can't get this linky to work for some reason, do a google for the knotless knot... its used in carp fishing for hair rigs etc but can be easly converted for pennel rig.

Or this one http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/shorerigs/shore_pennel.html
I'm not to keen on the double granny knot in this, i prefer abit of power gum and stop knot inside, ya can slide this about to match bait size.

I use the same method as your self, but when using large baits squid/bluey fillets etc i use abit of extra bait elestic to help hold it all in place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dover Shark,
Used the knotless knot before to snell circles but the one the fellas are using seems to slide down to where the hook is and isn't fixed (if this makes sense) so they can still adjust the top hook for the bait size? I'm wondering if they've just threaded the line through the eye a couple of times?:g:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Its really difficult to see from that video:unsure:

Some peeps use that neoprene tubing stuff to help hold top hook in place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Try a bit of silicone tubing - just make sure that you don't pull the
tubing all the way over the eye of the pennel hook - i use 1.5mm
tubing and soak it in hot water while i'm rig making - that way it goes on easy but as it cools down it grips nicely

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I agree Dover Shark, it is a bit difficult to see. Bit more digging-think I might've found the Answer-it looks a good method to try anyway-just to give it that bit more bite on the line.
Cheers again:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try a bit of silicone tubing - just make sure that you don't pull the
tubing all the way over the eye of the pennel hook - i use 1.5mm
tubing and soak it in hot water while i'm rig making - that way it goes on easy but as it cools down it grips nicely
That's a good tip as well mangerover-another one to try- thanks!

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
I use a short (5mm) piece of electrical wire insulation (the red/black/yellow bit)or the thin rig tubing the carp boys use.
Put your hook length line through the eye of your floating hook then through the tube and then carefully slide the point of the hook through the tube. :headhurt:
Its sounds confusing but after a couple of tries you will get the hang of doing it the right way round.
The tube size will depend on the wire size of the pennel hook, just experiment with different types.
2.5mm cable insulation is fine for thinner hooks and the rig tube is better for bigger/stronger hooks.
It works for me, I found that twisting the hook around the line to hold it in place ended up knackering the hook length.

·
Banned
719 Posts
Hi all,
Anyone know how These Fellas are securing the top hook on their pennel rigs? I use the top hook running on the line and wrap the line around 3-4 times method, but sometimes find it slides up/down the line and tears the bait. These guys seem to be using some sort of knot to secure the top hook?
hi mate, use a one centimeter peice of sillicone tube over the line and hook, leave some slack line above the worm, then thread the hook into the worm untill all the hook shank is inside the worm with just the hook bend and point sticking out of the worms side..

then pull on the line and the hook bend to take out the slack in the line... (this is what you are seeing dave barham doing in the clip)

hope this helps ......

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
When making up your rig slide 1" of silicone tubing on your hooklength and then the top hook and then tie on the bottom hook. Just slide the silicone tubing over the eye of the hop hook and down over part of the hook shank, this allows use to slide the hook down to the topend of the bait and it stays in place.

I can claim to have pioneered the use of the sliding pennel back in the early 70's when I used to fish with John Rawle on Aquamanda. I did an article for Sea Angler at the time and got the princely sum of twenty quid....

Hi all,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the replies! Gonna try all the methods mentioned and see what I'm happiest with. Miz Git - that's quite a claim to fame for you considering the popularity of the sliding pennel.:clap: Worth a tad more than £20 even in them days!

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
Why would you need to put it over the hook point? put it on first and then pull it down over the eye and onto the shank. The point of the silicone tubing is that you don't have to put the top hook into the worms and burst them, the bend of the hook sits nice and snug against the head of the top worm parallel to the line.

I slide the silicone tubing on to a baiting needle and then onto the hook. Much easier than messing about trying to slide it over the hook point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts