World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is the benefit of tying a rapala knot to your plug over just clipping it to an american snap swivel?

When your hands are cold and wet it can become annoying having to keep tying a knot to your plug when changing instead of just clipping it on.

I assume it's not as important with a spinner or wedge eg you can just clip those to an american snap swivel?

Finally, what the bloody hell do you do when the water is choppy like it is at the moment? It's been five days since I've been spinning/plugging and I'm thinking of self harming! :help:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I just use a clip tied to my leader and clip this to the lure, as long as it's a light weight one it won't affect the action. I wouldn't use a swivel based clip because it's not needed and may affect the action, besides spinners and wedges have a spinning link on them which you can then clip to.

I'm in the a same boat as you, waiting for the weather to improve. Some chop may be OK, but the water just looks to coloured here.

Roll on the weekend, the forecast looks better.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok, thanks, Joe.

So you just use one of these on the end of your main line?

Or one of those ones which looks a bit like a paper clip?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I prefer these:

Titan Diamond Snap
Double ended snaps which are perfect for quick changes of plugs, spinners etc. These strong (55lb BS) clips will handle the largest lures but are light enough not to effect the action of small plugs.

Sold in packs of 12.
Price: £1.20 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Rig_Accessories.html

No pic on website, but if you have the brochure, Spring 2008 they are on page 15. These are very small and it's hard too imagine that they a 55lb break.

They also have these (Which I haven't tried:

Varivas Nice Clips
In view of huge supply problems with our popular Quicklocks we have now sourced these Nice Clips from Varivas. they are similar to the original quicklock but a touch neater and stronger and they make a great connector for plugs and spinners.
Sold in packs of 10
Price: £1.20 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Joe.

Just ordered some of both. Tried to buy some of those Slug go eels at veals too, but they've sold out already. Nobody seems to be touching the Arkansas type for some reason. Looking forward to seeing those work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wouldnt mind trying it but dont quite understand how to tie it as you cant see what hes doing with the line in the video. Can anyone else give us a clearer instruction of how to tie it?
Ben

Fold the line back on itself for about 10 inches and pinch the doubled line at around the 8 inch mark (so you now have a section of doubled line from your forefinger and thumb about 8'' long)

In the looped line, form a double surgeon's knot by bending the doubled line back and trapping it between finger and thumb and feeding the point of the loop through the resulting '0' shape twice. See -
http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeo...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

You should now have a loop in the end of your line 8'' in length (The whittingham loop) through which you drop your lure as Frank shows.

The little tag of line is the real inovation and is a Godsend when you want to change lures, as it will allow you to open the loop and drop the lure off, then attach a new lure in seconds.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cheers Joe.

Tried to buy some of those Slug go eels at veals too, but they've sold out already. Nobody seems to be touching the Arkansas type for some reason. Looking forward to seeing those work.
I tried the Slug-go for the first time at the weekend and had a 2.5lb fish on the 7.5'' Arkansas Shiner. They look pretty much like a sandeel to me.

Picture and also available here -
http://www.basslures.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ben

The little tag of line is the real inovation and is a Godsend when you want to change lures, as it will allow you to open the loop and drop the lure off, then attach a new lure in seconds.
Thats the bit i didnt understand. Is it just a small piece of line tied to the loop in any old way, which can then to be used to pull the loop out? Or is that too simple..

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Just opening and checking out some Slug-Go 7 1/2 in pink and black. You can get them from:

http://www.basslures.co.uk/

for the same price as Veals (Obviously cheeper in the states)

The pinks, by all accounts, have had some success. I'm going to try the black once it's gone dark as I don't want to risk an expensive lure when you can't see.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good idea.

Actually, probably a silly question, but does anyone know how you would work the slug go at low tide?

At high tide when I lean and fish over the esplanade I can obviously work lures/slug go's etc as my rod tip is bent down towards the water, but what about low tide? Do you just keep the rod tip upwards and work it a bit like a shad?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Good idea.

Actually, probably a silly question, but does anyone know how you would work the slug go at low tide?

At high tide when I lean and fish over the esplanade I can obviously work lures/slug go's etc as my rod tip is bent down towards the water, but what about low tide? Do you just keep the rod tip upwards and work it a bit like a shad?
No idea what your mark is like depth wise but here is an idea for you.

Cut about 3/4" off the nose of a large Slug-go, fit a lightish but long shanked texan style hook in the usual way and superglue it firmly into place. Then fish the lure unweighted and popper style to create a little more surface disturbance. A good time is in poor light, but beware of pollack launching themselves vertically out of the water - not good for the ticker when you are waiting for a crunching bass take.

If you take to the idea then look up Hogy lures. The pink 10" monster looks like it came from a dodgy catalogue!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
TBH I've tried loads of different clips in the past berkley, fox, flashmer etc. The very best Ive used are the JB clips available here:http://www.mrfishjersey.net/magento/
Their shape inhibits the knots moving in the way whittingham describes in the video, they are also super strong and rust proof. The only problem I've had with them is that they won't fit the smaller storm thunder dog -just ditch the dog and buy a sammy!

·
Registered
514 Posts
wouldn't a bimini be better here, after all its what you recommend for the albright.
Absolutely ~ but Frank Whittingham uses a double surgeon's knot, as it is so quick easy to tie. You can do it in the dark, or with your eyes closed (not sure why you would :headhurt:).

The knot strength is pretty good for bassing and other UK-based lure fishing, the surgeon's knot would be strong enough, but for overseas fishing, I'd prefer a bimini.

Ben ~ The tag is just a spare piece of line tied onto the point of the loop with a blood knot. The addition of a double overhand knot on the other end of the tag means that you have a tiny 'knob' that you can get your thumb nail against to grip the tag and apply enough pressure to open up the loop for a lure change.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No idea what your mark is like depth wise but here is an idea for you.

Cut about 3/4" off the nose of a large Slug-go, fit a lightish but long shanked texan style hook in the usual way and superglue it firmly into place. Then fish the lure unweighted and popper style to create a little more surface disturbance. A good time is in poor light, but beware of pollack launching themselves vertically out of the water - not good for the ticker when you are waiting for a crunching bass take.

If you take to the idea then look up Hogy lures. The pink 10" monster looks like it came from a dodgy catalogue!
lol, cheers I'll give that a go. Actually you could probably cast out a, ahem, toy from Ann Summers and the mackerel would still bite. Silly buggers.

·
Registered
961 Posts
lol, cheers I'll give that a go. Actually you could probably cast out a, ahem, toy from Ann Summers and the mackerel would still bite. Silly buggers.

Funnily enough an inventor-type I know did suggest something along those lines a long time ago! Field testing could have been an arresting experience.

And fitting the vibrating element from a mobile 'phone into a lure ...and fitting a little propeller to a surface lure so that it swims out there on its own...and an LED light for night plugging.... and an electro magnet operated weight transfer system for increased wobble.....how far can this sport go? crazy:

I'll stick to the high tec plastic imitations of bait fish with impregnated aniseed flavour, sow juice (yes really, and no, I don't want to begin to think where they get it from) salts, loose scales etc.

Come to think of it, which is more barking?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer these:

Titan Diamond Snap
Double ended snaps which are perfect for quick changes of plugs, spinners etc. These strong (55lb BS) clips will handle the largest lures but are light enough not to effect the action of small plugs.
Ok, Joe, now feel free to call me thick, but is there a special technique to unlock the above? I've already bent two with my clumsy hands.

The Varivas Nice ones are easy, but the titans don't make obvious sense!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I must admit I found them a bit tricky to open at first, I don't think about it now. It might be because I have used the same one since i got them.

Are the Varivas one as small and light as the Titans, might give them a go.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The varivas ones are slightly smaller, thinner, silver and a lot easier to unclip.

Is there a special technique for the titans? I had to bend the first one in half just to unhook it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts