World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

WSF Primary Administrator.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to bring up this topic for a long time ....
I have found probably the last ten years or so that I get painful feet when perched on some rock marks and the only way round it is to keep repositioning my feet every few minutes.
I also these days seem to suffer from lower back pain when on rock marks.
I think it may be when I'm stood at an angle.....sometimes I just have to sit down and it goes away.
I know Simms do a back Brace for lure and fly anglers and this may be the way to go.
The painful feet thing though is pretty horrible sometimes.

Any others suffer phisically when perched ?

Registered
Yeah deffo the feet thing..
If I stand on a rock thats small
but a lot higher than the rocks
around it I have to keep repositioning
my feet until I have to get off
that rock becuse they ache loads..

My main killer is walking long distance
over shingle its a killer, on the knees..
Or walking up steep shingle, jesus
I aint a fit as I used to be..

Registered
Nick, I know that is most likely not the case, but could it be that the boots you are wearing are contributing to the foot pain?

I ask only because I don't suffer from it when standing on rocks myself, but a year or so ago I bought a pair of what turned out to be perfectly rubbish Simms Vapor wading boots, and for the first time ever my feet started to ache a bit if I was standing on the same rock for a while. Boots fell apart on me so I got a refund, feet stopped aching immediately. Different boots?

As for back pain, I am conscious that a lot of us stand in bad positions when are are lure fishing, kinda hunched up and leaning forward slightly, and this does for a lot of backs I think.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, I know that is most likely not the case, but could it be that the boots you are wearing are contributing to the foot pain?

I ask only because I don't suffer from it when standing on rocks myself, but a year or so ago I bought a pair of what turned out to be perfectly rubbish Simms Vapor wading boots, and for the first time ever my feet started to ache a bit if I was standing on the same rock for a while. Boots fell apart on me so I got a refund, feet stopped aching immediately. Different boots?

As for back pain, I am conscious that a lot of us stand in bad positions when are are lure fishing, kinda hunched up and leaning forward slightly, and this does for a lot of backs I think.
Yep....my boots are Simms and the Freestone model I think.

Registered
Luckily no back pains rubbish knees though due to my work,sadly a cure I found is to lose a few pounds and it made a hell of a difference.

Reactions: shandybass

Registered
Nick i know what you mean. I got rid of this problem due to the metal soles in my new Spro neoprene waders. It's just like the boots the guys on building sites use.

Mine are built in the wader boots but my mate got some iron inlay soles wich he can put in any shoe he'd like.

The difference is fenomenal with steel soles!

As for the backpain: i'll be folowing this thread with interest as i suffer from it as well. Tried to source a supporting device but got confused by all the differences and their prices......

Registered
i do suffer every day with back problems and at sometimes can not do anything for a week untill its got to a bearable postion to do things .
but i no if i wear the wrong shoes ,boots it does have a big influence on your back .
and your chest muscles also if you have badly worn boots of are on uneven ground .
i walk about 10 miles a day and if my boots have worn the pain isbad in my feet and back .so i need a new pair of boots .
once i have new shoes boots on no problems .untill they wear again
i go through a lot of boots at work lol
also nick what gear you carry with you can affect your back and feet

Registered
Instep support is very important. Without it your feet flatten out and it means you have poor alignment right up through your body, which could be the cause of your back pain. You could try some orthopaedic inserts in your boots to give more support.

You could also try some pilates type exercises to strengthen up your core muscles, and always be mindful of the posture that you are in whilst fishing. Always try and keep your knees slightly bent which will take some pressure off your lower back.

A back brace (some people call them corsets! ;) ) may well help, but it's probably a case of treating the symptoms, not the cause. I would hasten to add, though, that I'm not in any way an expert in these matters. Might be worth you going to see a decent osteopath for some advice.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think maybe the Simms boots that do have a rigid sole are causing me the discomfort ,the pain is like a painful stingy ache and very localised.
I'm going to get some proper boots that fit perfect with a neoprene sock.

Registered
I think maybe the Simms boots that do have a rigid sole are causing me the discomfort ,the pain is like a painful stingy ache and very localised.
I'm going to get some proper boots that fit perfect with a neoprene sock.
You may find that inserts fix the problem and save you the cost of new boots (unless you're looking for an excuse to get some new ones! :) ).

I spent 6 months working in a factory once. To begin with it was ruining my knees, being stood on hard ground all day. Bought some inserts and the problem went away very quickly. Got to be worth a try for about 拢20, or whatever they cost these days.

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may find that inserts fix the problem and save you the cost of new boots (unless you're looking for an excuse to get some new ones! :) ).

I spent 6 months working in a factory once. To begin with it was ruining my knees, being stood on hard ground all day. Bought some inserts and the problem went away very quickly. Got to be worth a try for about 拢20, or whatever they cost these days.
The boots are old but still holding out....I fancy a change :)

G

I have been meaning to bring up this topic for a long time ....
I have found probably the last ten years or so that I get painful feet when perched on some rock marks and the only way round it is to keep repositioning my feet every few minutes.
I also these days seem to suffer from lower back pain when on rock marks.
I think it may be when I'm stood at an angle.....sometimes I just have to sit down and it goes away.
I know Simms do a back Brace for lure and fly anglers and this may be the way to go.
The painful feet thing though is pretty horrible sometimes.

Any others suffer phisically when perched ?

Well .............. You are getting to that age now where you may be turning into a bit of a porker and carrying a little extra weight ........ that makes your feet ache & hurt ............... just saying :rolleyes::D

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well .............. You are getting to that age now where you may be turning into a bit of a porker and carrying a little extra weight ........ that makes your feet ache & hurt ............... just saying :rolleyes::D
I'm loosing weight :) but sadly the years do catch up with us...

G

I'm loosing weight :) but sadly the years do catch up with us...
Even a few pounds play up hell with your feet ............... if your 'few pounds' are like my 'few pounds' then I guess it could be and issue ............. I am also loosing weight, only another couple of stone to go !

As you get older the weight goes 'on' over time without really being noticed by yourself :(........... I have found that the feet are the first to complain !;)

Registered
Hi Nick, I think like Fairweather said sounds like you want to treat the cause not the symptom. If you can get into the habit of doing some core strengthening excersises 2-3 times a week your going to feel like a new man on the rocks in a month or 2. Sit ups, reverse sit ups, leg raises and squats are all going to strengthen your base up a treat no need for gym or weights you can do everything you need at home. Steady slow reps with good form you'll be jumping round like a mountain goat for the new season.

Registered
I suffered a similar thing for years mainly with skiing. love skiing but nearly packed it in due to my feet being so sore (went through about 6 pairs of boots) then one day i mentioned it in a ski shop and they recommended sidas mouldable insoles. paid about 拢35 they measure your feet to get correct soles and then heat told them to the shape of your foot to give maximum support.
worth their weight in gold, swap between shoes, and you should be able to get them at most decent sports stores

Registered
Hi Nick, I think like Fairweather said sounds like you want to treat the cause not the symptom. If you can get into the habit of doing some core strengthening excersises 2-3 times a week your going to feel like a new man on the rocks in a month or 2. Sit ups, reverse sit ups, leg raises and squats are all going to strengthen your base up a treat no need for gym or weights you can do everything you need at home. Steady slow reps with good form you'll be jumping round like a mountain goat for the new season.

Wise words Adam,I just wonder if Nick should try to do that everyday to make a real difference.....and swimming a few lengths after for a warm down.

Reactions: Adamski1
1 - 20 of 38 Posts