World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know from arranging Meets in the past, there's always been interest from some forum members who less able bodied and therefore they haven't been able to attend beach meets and the like. So, I've had a look at the tides and if people fancy it, we can do a meet on Peterhead South Breakwater on Sunday 6th September. The tides are:

Sunrise 6:18 AM GMTDT, Sunset 7:50 PM GMTDT
Moonset 8:41 AM GMTDT, Moonrise 7:38 PM GMTDT
Low Tide: 8:29 AM GMTDT 1.7
High Tide: 2:40 PM GMTDT 12.3

Pre-Meet meet up and McDonalds for breakfast at 9am and fish from around 10am onwards following the 2 minute drive to the breakwater.

Map Here

Fishing out to the sea side you will be fishing into 60ft plus water at high tide and you will need to cast 40 yrds ish to clear the rocks that are around the breakwater its self . The ground is relatively smooth with the odd snag so grip leads of 5 oz handle any tide and 15lb mainline.

Fishing into the harbour you will be fishing on to bed of sand that starts from about 20yrds from the breakwater . The inner side is very good for flatties during the summer fishing size 3 hooks with beads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be up for that, although I'll most likely be up there later in the day.

I've been up there a few times now for mackerel - out of curiosity, what other species are likely to be found there? I saw a gent net a decent sized codling the other day with feathers, but other than that..?

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
out of curiosity, what other species are likely to be found there?
Codling, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Wrasse, Flatties, Conger in the past, but not seen or heard of any for a few years.

I'll give this weekend then move it the Meet Section or bin the idea depending on the interest levels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
would be up for that. what is the liklyhood of some mak???

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Will be there if I can sort out a lift. Doc won't let me drive anymore:cry:

·
Team Shoreangler
708 Posts
If anyone is going from my neck of the woods i might be able to make this one..
i will do this one and give you a lift no probs

·
Registered
928 Posts
should manage this but no promises yet!!!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Codling, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Wrasse, Flatties, Conger in the past, but not seen or heard of any for a few years.

I'll give this weekend then move it the Meet Section or bin the idea depending on the interest levels.
and poor cod,sea scorpions and more coalies :bleh:

il prob make it,seeing a band the night b4 so may have a sare heed :hypocrite

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
I should be there.
You also pick up small pin whiting and occasional pouting.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
i will do this one and give you a lift no probs
Cheers mate :thumbs: i will let you know nearer the time if i am going and require a lift.. been a while since i fished the breakwaters, it used to be dab city on the inside along with the occasional plaice but that was about 15 yrs ago...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Count me in.:punk::punk::punk:

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might want to check with the powers that is ASCO that the breakwaters will be open before you make your way there. Went down wednesday night & yesterday afternoon only to find the gates were closed & locked. They have no right to do this, there wasn't even a boat on the breakwater either. They are getting above themselves thinking they own the breakwaters when they infact do not!!!!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
your right they do not own it,but they do have an obligation to keep asco staff and users of the breaky safe (they joys of the hse culture we live in),its been funny windy this last week so id guess this is the reason for it (granted sometimes they close it for no reason/for good reason then dont bother opening it again) also sometimes they are told by the harbour office to close it....its not always asco's decision

much as its a pain in the bum its just one of them things,we should count ourselves lucky,there are places in the uk where you would have nae chance of being allowed to fish on a breaky with nae railings

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The phoner number for ASCO Operations, who seem to believe they own the BW is 01779 474712 - they'll tell you if its open or closed, which can save you travelling if they've got it closed.

You're right mate ASCO don't own the breakwaters (they think they do), they're owned by the Feuars of Peteread.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts