World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local BP petrol station to fill my boat petrol tanks up today and I got told off for having them in the car boot when filling! The woman behind the till said I could only have 5 litres in future unless the tanks were in the boat. I asked why and was told that it was a fire risk, (though presumably filling in the boat isn't)

wildercard

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its as bad with red diesel but for a different reason.

Marinas will only sell deisel that is filled in containers on a boat. Most people keep some spare diesel in 5 gallon drums but they will only fill these drums if they are on the boat (nothing stops you taking them straight off)

I came accross this problem when my boat was moored in a marina. On a windy day I did not want to risk the boat by moving it around the marina, so I asked to have just the drums filled up. Oh no they said. I had to move the boat about 30 yards to the filling pipe, fill the drums, them move back to the mooring. Single handed in bad weather I was not impressed.

Osprey

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So less than 5 litres of petrol is obviously not hazordous then?
My boat is left in a compound where I fish and I regularly carry tanks full with me to the boat.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the local Shell garage tonight and got the same reply, it is ok to fill tanks that are onboard the boat but not off it. I don't know if it is a national thing but it would be difficult to fill an empty boat with petrol that is kept afloat in a marina. 2 of my local garages are only interested in selling 5 litres max in 1 can.

wildercard

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The law on fuel is crazy, if your tank is plastic you can only put 5lts in if it is not attatched to the engine of the boat. Connect it to your engine and you can fill it whatever the size. If the tank is metal you can put 25 litres in it off the boat.

I would need 30 X 5 litre cans to fill my boat. But I have a solution, I take the woman at my local petrol station a few fish ad she turns a blind eye. ;)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The woman at my local Tesco 24hr must just be blind or more likely unaware of the regulations ( until now, so was I) because I fill up every weekend and and nothing as ever been said. Even when I got her back up about there being no paper towels in the forecourt dispenser.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On an average fishing trip I use over 30 litres of petrol, seems the only way is to fill up 6+ seperate times with 1 plastic container, or buy a metal jerry can and transfer it.

wildercard

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Which is more dangerous, a 25 litre plastic tank with 5 litres of fuel and 20 litres of air, or 25 litres of fuel and no air?

·
Banned
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris,

Might try the bribery thing if you can send me some fish up :D .
Or I wonder if she'd accept a box of chipboard screws - Ive got one spare.

wildercard

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't have this problem any more as my new boat has built in tank, but I never had a problem around here, plus the fact that an empty tank is more dangerouse than a full one. really.. you can throw a lighted match into a bucket of petrol and the petrol will put out the match. try it with a recently emptied can ! it will take your head off. the military insistt all A/C and vehicles are stored with full tanks for safety reasons. And these guys expect to be hit with hot metal, so it just shows they ain't pumping gas because they are smart..

·
Registered
408 Posts
As I'm from Edinburgh, during the recent G8 protests the police asked petrol stations not to sell fuel in any containers. I turned up with my boat and they wouldn't let me fill up!! luckily there was a police car parked next door and they laughed when they saw the boat and told me to go ahead. 75l in 3 containers, all sanctioned by Lothian and Borders finest.

G

·
Your all very right guys - but unfortunatly it's the law and when you see kids around here carrying 25 ltrs of petrol for their boombfires on the beach you can maybe understand why?

However, I too had the same problem as my boat is on a mooring, until i just park facing the girl, with a 5 ltr can in hand whilst filling up 3 x 30 ltr jumbo's. not ethical i agree but it works and don't stop me fishin.

By the way glad to hear someone else is using 30ltrs of fuel per trip - thought i was the only nutter with an outboard prepared to spend more than a day on a charter boat to fish his own - still there is no substitue for fishing from you own boat, even after all the trouble and cost it really is the very best way!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I regularly go through £80 a day in fuel, add that to depreciaion on the boat, engine, electrics, safety gear, etc, etc.......

There is still nothing to beat it as you say. ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I usually fish with my dad and although I try to take control of most things in the boat usually leave the acquisition of fuel to him (hehe). He is off on holiday at present though and I have been forced to shell out some hard earned dosh on go juice. Let me tell you there will be no more revving over 4000 nor any unnecessary runs against the tide!! I could not believe the amount she guzzles.

I even took a run down to southern Ireland to avail of their cheapo fuel but I got a bit over zealous on the throttle on the way back and burned most of it up!! Ahh to be poor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts