World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished up near the woodyard between normans bay and cooden beach this evening, saw some lovely features out infront of us, even if i did have to hunt out the rocky gully i'd sen on wed's, the tide must have turned as soon as it was out, we got there half an hour after low and the bolders were already near covered ! so, i think i fished the right place,

i was joined by mrs Plums, and Steve640 (hat off to the bloke for having a sillier fishing car than my usual ride !!)

i used two rods, bait wise i was using a 4/0 and 6/0 pulley pennel, using hole squid, squid/sand eel, sand eel, sandeel/squid/macky, razor/sandeel, and a number of other variations on one rod, and lug and sandeels on a size 1 portsmouth rig with a pennel set up on the top snood,

mrs Plums did the same, at close range, mine were blasted as far as poss,

fish wise i had one rockling on lug on my first chuck, and later on the size1 portsmouth pennel, i had a small thornback ray of about 8oz (aprx 25cm across wings),

mrs plums was getting cold by 1.30am, so around 2am we called it a day, Steve faired slightly better on the fish count than me, and mrs plums blanked in between sleeping in the floaty suit !

most definitely a mark i want to fish again when the weather warms up a bit, good spot for hounds too i believe.

no pics this time, but another species to add to my growing count !

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nice report Hugh. Does Pevensey through up better size Rays towards the end of May? I have a boat trip and a Beach trip planned and would like to focus on maybe targeting a decent thorney from the beach before the Smutts start really running in June.

Cheers,

Grant.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've never seen a sizeable one from any beach near here ! that's not to say they aren't there, or have never been caught, thornies are rarely caught in size, but too infrequent to assume they're out there most of the time, i reckon they just shoot in, lay eggs, and bugger off again, found plenty of purses the other day, poss ray or hound, but the daddies are long gone i suspect,

won't stop me trying though !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well the total for me, was 1 rockling and two whiting (plus a whole load of fishing line that I snagged into on a retrieve). I had managed to get hold of some live peelers and had my fingers crossed for a Bass or even a smooth hound, but no such luck.

When I started the session, there was something wrong with my cast, and I just wasn't getting the range. It wasn't until about 2/3 the way through the session that I started to get a half reasonable range.

Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts