World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
come back from Glasgow yesterday at 4 pm and decide to give the Sbw a go for an all niter,arrive at BW about 10pm and cast away,the first fish was a small codling followed by a palm size coalie on the worms bait,reeled in the fish bait rod and felt heavy,to my surprise a nice wee lobster came along,my first ever lobster,not sure about sizes a quick photo and back she went, things then went quiet until 3am with only palm size codling showing on the worm baits.
About 3 am the fish bait rod gave a gentle tap and then a quick one and went quiet, then,a tap again,lift the rod and could feel a decent fish on the other end,reel in and a nice 4 lb ling came up the wall also my very first one :clap: :clap:
About 4am i fell asleep for about half hour and when i woke up got the scare of my life,was a guy staring at me with a strange thing in his head...was my reflexion on the side mirror...ugly buggar,but that woke me up.
check the rods and to my surprise another small ling about 1 1/2 lb come up the wall,this one safely returned to the deeps of the sea.
Now a thing for the experts,when the sun came up i started to have very positive bites on my worm rod,but i failed to connect with the fish,was that small fish or just unlucky i don't know,but i failed to connect on 3 or 4 occasions...positive bite...reel on...nothing and the bait gone.
About 6 am i decided to give the mackies a go since it was a very bright morning with no wind,got 4 until 7am,then decided to call it a day and packed up.
result for the night was:
2 ling
1 lobster
9 small codling
3 coalies
4 mackies
bait:Mackies,lug worm,razor,and blueys
not a bad nite fishing and like always loads of fun.
Photos to follow when i email them to Gus or Rauri
regards
tony

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
excellent mate ,your species tally is climbing good style this year (are you beating gus ?),4lb is a nice ling from the shore.not sure about the bites mate ? were you straight down the side ? what size hooks were you using ,and what did the bait look like when it came back.hard to tell sometimes ,i had bites like that at whitehaven earlier in the year ,finally put it down to early season dogfish bites as some were landed in comp nearby the same day.
cheers rab

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
excellent mate ,your species tally is climbing good style this year (are you beating gus ?),4lb is a nice ling from the shore.not sure about the bites mate ? were you straight down the side ? what size hooks were you using ,and what did the bait look like when it came back.hard to tell sometimes ,i had bites like that at whitehaven earlier in the year ,finally put it down to early season dogfish bites as some were landed in comp nearby the same day.
cheers rab
nae yet Rab,but is another step to my graduation,hopefuly the species go up next weekend.One day i'm gonna be half as good as those boys.
i was using 2/0 wooks for the worm bait,the same hooks all nite,but as soon the sun come up...nothing.Wasn't rattling bites,was positive bites,and when i reel in,the bait was gone...small fish i guess Rab

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
nae yet Rab,but is another step to my graduation,hopefuly the species go up next weekend.One day i'm gonna be half as good as those boys.
i was using 2/0 wooks for the worm bait,the same hooks all nite,but as soon the sun come up...nothing.Wasn't rattling bites,was positive bites,and when i reel in,the bait was gone...small fish i guess Rab
maybe not small ones mate ,just different ones.first thing to try is smaller hooks when that happens .
cheers rab

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe not small ones mate ,just different ones.first thing to try is smaller hooks when that happens .
cheers rab
cheers Rab,i will try smaller hooks next time

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice evenings fishing mate. Well done on the ling, good size and great to eat.:clap:
I'm still across in Ni and have been lucky enough to get out most evenings and have added a few more species to the list. We'll have to catch up for a sesh over the next few weeks hopefully.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
nice wee sesh there mate,i was ower on the north getting some bait.gonna have to get after a ling shortly...nae had one this year,hope its not going to be my jinx species:nono:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
shoosh you,im nae having your jinx again :nono:

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
561 Posts
come back from Glasgow yesterday at 4 pm and decide to give the Sbw a go for an all niter,arrive at BW about 10pm and cast away,the first fish was a small codling followed by a palm size coalie on the worms bait,reeled in the fish bait rod and felt heavy,to my surprise a nice wee lobster came along,my first ever lobster,not sure about sizes a quick photo and back she went, things then went quiet until 3am with only palm size codling showing on the worm baits.
About 3 am the fish bait rod gave a gentle tap and then a quick one and went quiet, then,a tap again,lift the rod and could feel a decent fish on the other end,reel in and a nice 4 lb ling came up the wall also my very first one :clap: :clap:
About 4am i fell asleep for about half hour and when i woke up got the scare of my life,was a guy staring at me with a strange thing in his head...was my reflexion on the side mirror...ugly buggar,but that woke me up.
check the rods and to my surprise another small ling about 1 1/2 lb come up the wall,this one safely returned to the deeps of the sea.
Now a thing for the experts,when the sun came up i started to have very positive bites on my worm rod,but i failed to connect with the fish,was that small fish or just unlucky i don't know,but i failed to connect on 3 or 4 occasions...positive bite...reel on...nothing and the bait gone.
About 6 am i decided to give the mackies a go since it was a very bright morning with no wind,got 4 until 7am,then decided to call it a day and packed up.
result for the night was:
2 ling
1 lobster
9 small codling
3 coalies
4 mackies
bait:Mackies,lug worm,razor,and blueys
not a bad nite fishing and like always loads of fun.
Photos to follow when i email them to Gus or Rauri
regards
tony
nice fish there tony take it lobster was a small one lol

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice fish there tony take it lobster was a small one lol
not sure about the sizes mate,so went back,the ling is cooking as we speak :1a:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts