World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to the Philippines a fair bit (since my wife is a filipina) never fished there before but in my late fathers effects I came across a travel rod - its about 9ft and when distended fits in my travel bag a treat, thinking I'll have to take it next time I'm out there (end of October after the typhoon season :p) with some basic spinning/lure tackle, reckon its worth it?

Apart from a tiny bit of Pike luring when I was a young lad (with only a couple of jack as success) any advice or pointing at places to get some technique fishing from the surf and lure/spinner type advice would be appreciated.

When I bought some beach fishing gear earlier in the year I got bundled in a load of lures - a couple of dexter wedge types, a couple of metal curvy fish shaped lures and a few plain metal lures which look like fish in various colours and weights - 28g, 32g, 40g, and 60g, a good mix of mackie feathers along with some pre-prepared rigs...

Which of those if any would be worth taking?

Would be lush to catch me and my wife some dinner to cook up on the beach one evening :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you noticed how the locals fish?follow their lead.
Which could be tricky,when i am in Thailand usually go out in a boat as fishing from the shore would require a 300 yard cast,water very shallow locals fish by wading out with a net.Normally 6 men one stays on the shore others go out with net about 50 yards they walk along with the net around 100 yards a man every 25 yards then the last man walks back to shore with the net.
Yes they catch a lot of fish but none no bigger than a sprat.
You never see the locals fishing with a rod,even in the klongs the just net across the river.
I would look out for a day fishing trip,do a bit of fishing with a rod and snorkeling with a spear gun on a reef.
A day trip in Thailand cost £10 or 480 baht.That includes a few cold beers and the cooking of you catch if you want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, will be island hopping with the help of some locals and their boats, so i'll have the opportunity of trolling between, or chucking in a few extra pesos to hang around the channels for a while ;)

·
BASSIN ASSASSIN
2,636 Posts
when i went back in 2009 i got a serious workout with huge snapper and got a large stingray but lost loads on 80lb class tackle i was fishing in luzon up in cagayan valley (think it was called BUGAY) didnt have enough time really as i was getting married there,

next time though i'll b sending out a load of gear to my brother in law so we can have a crack at the stingrays that smashed us up on 80lb class tackle, mental deep just out of the estuary 600ft easy,

some massive thresher sharks out there we saw some up to 15ft long,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow interesting...

This visit i'll be staying fairly local to the in-laws (first year anniversary and all that) so around the batangas area, but as i'll be on light kit i'm just hoping for a few snapper for lunch or dinner nothing too feisty or huge!! just after a bit of sport on light tack, i was hoping to just do a bit of occasional casting from the surf when the mood takes me, but i'm told this is pointless (true? i know its fairly shallow but i've caught some large fish in nothing more than chest height over here...), so guess ill be trolling between island hops around batangas n mindoro

·
Registered
27 Posts
duzman,

Try to ask for help/advices from these 2 forums:

Pinoy Anglers

Filipino Anglers

There are lot of anglers there based in the Batangas areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts