World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's not fish but was hoping someone( thinking crutchie?) would know an insane pickled onion recipe and also when your Kent to pickle? I don't really have any knollage when it comes to pickling, other than I lurve the stuff. I have added chillis to shop bought ones but have a craving to make my own.
ThAnks ArcH

·
Registered
456 Posts
you cant spell either,lol:help:
Not a lot worse than a smart arse who pick on some ones spelling and then miss-spells their own post, unless of course there’s a meaning for the word “cant” that I am not aware of and would fit your sentence, but for the life of me I can’t think of one. :roll1::roll1::roll1:

·
Registered
415 Posts
tail the shallots.
soak in salt overnight.
drain and add to jar.
empty 1 packet of pickling spice and chillies.
add vinegar.
leave for few weeks and stockpile toilet paper.
chillies in my cocktail are birds eye,scotch bonnet and dorset naga.

speak to wurge on here,he is a chilli guru

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Try adding a clove of garlic to them as well. Also try sliced beetroot layered with sliced spanish onions , or the swedish thing pickled button mushrooms. Heat up the vinegar and spices to boiling and just tip in the mushrooms for 5 mins when when you take the vinegar off the heat. Strain mushies off and allow vinegar to cool right down then bottle the mushrooms and cover with the cooled vinegar, scrummy and the best thing is if youre beach fishing after eating them youve always got plenty of room! Enjoy!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tail the shallots.
soak in salt overnight.
drain and add to jar.
empty 1 packet of pickling spice and chillies.
add vinegar.
leave for few weeks and stockpile toilet paper.
chillies in my cocktail are birds eye,scotch bonnet and dorset naga.

speak to wurge on here,he is a chilli guru
Mmm wanted to grow some nagas but was too late this year:(

·
Registered
456 Posts
xArchie there is no such thing as innocent fun as someone has to be the butt of it, as you tried to do with archthesheep,only you seem to be hurt that the tables were turned and it’s you, :doh:

and yes I did notice the “lol” at the end of your post although you appear to have completely missed the three large “rolling on the floor laughing” smilies that I placed at the end of mine, or is it just a case of it’s ok to laugh at archthesheep but not at you? :nonono:

The honourable thing to have done would have been accept that you tried to take the p**s out of archthesheep’s bahhhhd spelling, but were tripped up by your own, so stick your hands up and say ok you got me, and have left it at that,

And I will accept that I may be a “self deranged wee man”. Although I am not at all sure as to what one of those are. :whistling

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
right, so back on topic.......:thumbs:

i use the banana shallots, they seem to keep nice and crunchy, malt vinegar and add mustard seeds, chillies and a couple of garlic cloves.....delisssshhhhhh !!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I salt the onions (overnight) in a bowl with a board over & heavy weight on top of that. It removes excess moisture & in so doing crisps them up a bit. imo. Warm the vinegar up with the spice mix in & pour over the rinsed off onions leave for at least 3 months if you can wait that long.

Spice mix: coriander seed, yellow mustard seed, black peppercorns, allspice,bay leaves, ginger,chillies. Have a play around with quantities but not too much allspice.

Don't throw the used salt away dry out on trays & put in a container so you can salt your left over worms from your fishing trips. they make a good emergency bait.:yeah:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So by salt them do you mean brine them, or literally just cover them in salt pike your curing fish?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mmm wanted to grow some nagas but was too late this year:(
I have had great success growing them this year, got my plant at the Christchurch food festival when it was six inches tall. Now its a monster of a plant that's over 4 feet tall and the same wide!
The chillies are truly great tho :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
As a tip, ring up some local farmshops and see if they are selling bags of pickling onions. You can usually by a 5kg bag for the what the supermarkets charge you for 1kg. They sometimes do 5 litre cartons of malt vinegar too at a reasonable price.

Depends on when you want the onions for but I usually do my Christmas ones in October. Peel, salt over night and wash off salt next day and dry. My pickling spice is simply a couple of bay leaves, a handfull of peppercorns and a couple of small chillies. Boil in vinegar, leave to cool and stuff onions into a sterilised jar (a dishwasher or boiled water usually does this) and poor over vinegar and seal.

Enjoy!:bye1:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yumbo, il see if lidl have any shallots or pickling onions and vinegar:)
do you think you could mix vinegar types as well?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ive made some bad pickled onions in my time but last years were really good.
I used schwartz pickling spice(much better than the other ones i tried)soak the onions in brine overnight.
I use distilled vinegar as well as the malts too strong.
Bring the vinegar to the boil with the pickling spice,then turn off and let cool.
Rinse the onions off and bottle,then strain the cool vinegar over them and leave a few weeks.
you can pick the chillies out of the pickling spice and add it to the bottle for a bit more heat.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Didn't know you had these hidden talents Maxie, guess we will be popping round your place at Ventry for some home cooked food in few weeks. Will bring you some fresh caught fish for you to cook, prob never seen any before in your place!! Not long to go now Marra.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts