World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times yesterday I wished that I'd had my camera with me, but it was temporarily lost somewhere at home, despite a big search through cupboards, coats, tackle bags & boxes....

Anyway, The Great 07 Sand Shift continues, even in the estuary.
There were reports on Radio Devon about Sidmouth beach gradually vanishing and when I went to dig lug at Instow yesterday evening I see there's now a sharp drop of a couple of feet in front of the dunes, with everything below the HW-mark dragged away. On the beach below the cricket ground, roughly 200 yards out, there are dozens of rotten wooden stumps exposed. It's obviously man-made - there were signs of four straight, parallel lines.
Hard to say what was once there. My best guess is some form of boardwalk, although it *could* have been supports for a building from the rectangular shape.
Couldn't photograph it, of course :uhuh:

I *could* have had another decent photo on the way back to the car. All along the strand line were thousands of tiny dead white crabs [not just shed shells], various fingernail sizes. I'd guess the change to westerlies brought them in but what causes these mass deaths? Rough seas? Mass crab depression & suicide? But there's an awful lot of water in that estuary, you know, so my best guess is that they drowned.

Went home, filled my face, reloaded the car and went out again, up to Lee Bay with one thin rod and a 2-oz /small hook setup, to see if the bass were still there. They weren't, but I had two good sized dogs (or the same, stupid one) both a chubby 27" long and hungry for the Instow lug. They might even have been worth a photo but.... yeah, you guessed it: cameraless. But nice when a bigger doggy does decide to fight, specially on the light rod, and both these fought well (it was the same one, wasn't it?).

However, about halfway down the tide, the sea was suddenly replaced with a mass of damp kelp & bladderwrack so I packed up, climbed back to the car, opened the glovebox and found the bleedin camera had been in there all the time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Several times yesterday I wished that I'd had my camera with me, but it was temporarily lost somewhere at home, despite a big search through cupboards, coats, tackle bags & boxes....

Anyway, The Great 07 Sand Shift continues, even in the estuary.
There were reports on Radio Devon about Sidmouth beach gradually vanishing and when I went to dig lug at Instow yesterday evening I see there's now a sharp drop of a couple of feet in front of the dunes, with everything below the HW-mark dragged away. On the beach below the cricket ground, roughly 200 yards out, there are dozens of rotten wooden stumps exposed. It's obviously man-made - there were signs of four straight, parallel lines.
Hard to say what was once there. My best guess is some form of boardwalk, although it *could* have been supports for a building from the rectangular shape.
Couldn't photograph it, of course :uhuh:

I *could* have had another decent photo on the way back to the car. All along the strand line were thousands of tiny dead white crabs [not just shed shells], various fingernail sizes. I'd guess the change to westerlies brought them in but what causes these mass deaths? Rough seas? Mass crab depression & suicide? But there's an awful lot of water in that estuary, you know, so my best guess is that they drowned.

Went home, filled my face, reloaded the car and went out again, up to Lee Bay with one thin rod and a 2-oz /small hook setup, to see if the bass were still there. They weren't, but I had two good sized dogs (or the same, stupid one) both a chubby 27" long and hungry for the Instow lug. They might even have been worth a photo but.... yeah, you guessed it: cameraless. But nice when a bigger doggy does decide to fight, specially on the light rod, and both these fought well (it was the same one, wasn't it?).

However, about halfway down the tide, the sea was suddenly replaced with a mass of damp kelp & bladderwrack so I packed up, climbed back to the car, opened the glovebox and found the bleedin camera had been in there all the time.
sods law mate!:blink:

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
All along the strand line were thousands of tiny dead white crabs [not just shed shells], various fingernail sizes. I'd guess the change to westerlies brought them in but what causes these mass deaths? Rough seas? Mass crab depression & suicide? But there's an awful lot of water in that estuary, you know, so my best guess is that they drowned.
Good reading there Foxy

I was at Clovelly over the weekend practising casting sandeels (there was seemingly no other reason for me to be there :unsure: )

..and brought in this little fella

An arch fronted swimming crab I think. What the photo doesn't show was that underneath he was almost completely ghostly white and on top was more flesh coloured then the expected coulour. He gave a quick spin of his rear finned legs and then passed over to the other side. At least he'd attempted a mouthful of Ammo Sandie as a last meal.

I don't know if the apparently white colour meant he was nearly dead and if all the crabs you've seen are of a simiar type????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts