Going up well now....such a shame to watch...:eek:hmy:

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
Gutting :( excuse the punt, dont look good

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I was there in May when I had a week in Patesters caravan.

First time on the pier since I was 6years old. This time I was with my daughter and grandson.

Sad to see it go this way.

Wonder if they will find the money to rebuild?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, i did think the same when i heard new owners, combined with the economic downturn, doesnt look good.

All those old piers should be taken over by the national trust, they are part of our history.

I used to work in the insurance industry, and a pier was the absolute highest risk asset you could own. those things are just fire traps.

I do hope it gets rebuit.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Just been taken over so i heard by new owners,,,,hope my cynical thoughts are proved to be unfounded.
Dave
funnily enough, thats what i was thinking.

i remember the west pier at brighton going up, and coming down, palace pier were dead set against it being re-opened, and strangely, when it seemed it was a bigger possibility than ever, lottery grant etc, it was torched, now just a rotting framework.

:g::g:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jesus i wass thinking the same............cynical gits us lot :laugh:

Tis a shame to see though,agree with the thought they should all be taken over by National Trust

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Why on earth would the owners be responsible for this at a time when the kids have just broken up for summer holidays, the weather is the hottest its been all year ..... they would have made loadsa money so doubt they would be responsible for something like this. :wacko:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Blimey was admiring that pier just before christmas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,was debating to have a walk along it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but we decided it was to expensive ,can t remember how much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all the piers should be under english heritage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this ole bull **** they can t afford to do them up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fantastic victorian structures,,,,,,,,,,,our past should be looked after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep knocking up these ugly buildings

·
Registered
229 Posts
Blimey was admiring that pier just before christmas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,was debating to have a walk along it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but we decided it was to expensive ,can t remember how much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all the piers should be under english heritage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this ole bull **** they can t afford to do them up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fantastic victorian structures,,,,,,,,,,,our past should be looked after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep knocking up these ugly buildings
Weston pier never cost anything to walk along,Clevedon pier does cost to get on,but still a shame to see it gone ,does bring in a lot of revenue to the town.

G

·
wot a shame another victorian pier gone lets hope as someone said the national trust will take them over?????????????lotto grants:nono::nono:to much of that is going to the 2012 olympics wot a waste of money:shutup::shutup::thumbdown

·
Registered
913 Posts
well if the michials past is anything to go by i am sure they will rise to the occassion and set about rebuilding with their usual gusto subject to report and structral survey and as its only the pavilion end i am sure they will try and open the front and and provide some sort of entetainment?
with their buisiness pedigree and enthusesasme i feel quite confident they will do something about it?
hate to say it but clean slate new board start planning?
as for myself as a local my comiseration to them and best wishes in getting it up and going agian if anyone can i am sure they will?
and i might add a suspect i speak for the people of w-s-m and the thoughts of the members of this forum?

as the saying goes we will see?

i sincerly hope that they can show the doupting thomases of this town and others what exeptional buisiness people they are??
best of luck to them??:thumbs:
and once again my symphothy to all concerned:sad2:

·
Registered
673 Posts
well if the michials past is anything to go by i am sure they will rise to the occassion and set about rebuilding with their usual gusto subject to report and structral survey and as its only the pavilion end i am sure they will try and open the front and and provide some sort of entetainment?
with their buisiness pedigree and enthusesasme i feel quite confident they will do something about it?
hate to say it but clean slate new board start planning?
as for myself as a local my comiseration to them and best wishes in getting it up and going agian if anyone can i am sure they will?
and i might add a suspect i speak for the people of w-s-m and the thoughts of the members of this forum?

as the saying goes we will see?

i sincerly hope that they can show the doupting thomases of this town and others what exeptional buisiness people they are??
best of luck to them??:thumbs:
and once again my symphothy to all concerned:sad2:
A positive slant and bravo,perhaps a lobby into the right person and see if some sort of angling facility could be built in,who knows it might happen ,but if nothing is said then it surely won't.
Dave

·
Registered
673 Posts
The new owners spent £1m in the 6 months since they owned it and you believe they saw a rain cloud coming so they burned it down themselves do you ?
As it happens the owners seem to be coming good on this one,but, just imagine you have spent a mill,easter is carp,whitsun is carp,weather is total ****e ,,kids are on hols yesbut one good weekend aint a summer esp down in weston.
Know just where you are coming from ,but nobody ever said they did ,just stating the cynical viewpoint that we are nowadays unfortunately so often obliged to do.
Dave

G

·
Would be excellent circumstances in which to conjure up an insurance job, afterall, no one would suspect foul play under such circumstances, would they?

Listening to people on local radio this afternoon you'd have thought they had a pile of bricks dropped on their heads the ammount of fuss they were making.
And why keep showing it on the local news?

2pm- The pier is burnt down.

3pm- The pier is still burnt down.

4pm- Good God, the pier hasn't yet managed to ressurect itself, it's still burnt down...

As for the effect upon this forum, I fail to see any whatsoever, you couldn't fish from it, even if you could you would be lucky to get much more than five hours of a tide.

Load of sentimental rubbish, IMHO, of course...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts