World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone please help with ideas on how to go about raising funds to restore a pier! the pier in question is Trefor in North Wales which sadly is in a sorry state and facing an uncertain future.i have posted on this site because i have fished Swanage pier many times and often marvel at what you all achieved in restoring the pier.if anyone has any ideas or was involved in the Swanage restoration would you please give us any ideas you may have as to best going about this task.to many piers have already been lost to anglers, to lose yet another would be a sad day so come on and get posting..cheers.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Here's what I posted on another thread (North Wales Forum)
My only connection with Trefor Pier is hearing about the fishing there on various forums over the years. I live in the South West so the closure is not a local issue for me. BUT I am concerned at the loss of fishing venues , usually closed by sleight of hand/elfinsafety. Is there anyone local who can say whether the structure is listed? I've had a skulk around this interweb thingy but I can't find the answer. Listed buildings are afforded protection and the owner must repair them. Grants are made for that purpose. Any building or structure may be listed if it can be shown to be of historic, cultural or social merit. I would have thought evidence of the history of copper mining and the associated culture was well worth preserving ....even if angling is of no worth to the authorities. Can I suggest someone local finds out about the 'listed building' situation first of all and sets in progress the listing application if it is not listed. Lists are kept in Cardiff and Aberystwyth see
http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/upload/...-e20057855.htm

another hint, ukIndependence party are making a push for votes in Wales, their leader Nigel Farage is a keen sea angler and not averse to a bit of publicity.

We all know what good petitions to this government do, 1.8million people ignored on road pricing.

Swanage Pier has a large body of volunteers who put in a great deal of work over the years.
I suggest you contact the Swanage Pier Trust have a look at the Friends of the Pier link..... Olive Middleton is a stalwart of the volunteer band there ( she wrote the History booklet) I'm sure she would be able and willing to give you advice. Her phone number is in the Friends section in an appeal for April 1st help.
If you rather I acted as go-between then let me know and I will get down to see her and get the info... I am more than willing to help save any fishing spot.

I still think the listing option is worth a go.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Clevedon Pier is very well run and the regulations are enforced, hooligans and vandals would get short shrift there. It is locked at night and only club members get access then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
out of interest
why is this on the south coast forum when it is about something in wales?
probably a stupid question

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
out of interest
why is this on the south coast forum when it is about something in wales?
probably a stupid question
as i said swanage pier underwent a fantastic restoration and wanted a few ideas on how they went about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what I posted on another thread (North Wales Forum)
My only connection with Trefor Pier is hearing about the fishing there on various forums over the years. I live in the South West so the closure is not a local issue for me. BUT I am concerned at the loss of fishing venues , usually closed by sleight of hand/elfinsafety. Is there anyone local who can say whether the structure is listed? I've had a skulk around this interweb thingy but I can't find the answer. Listed buildings are afforded protection and the owner must repair them. Grants are made for that purpose. Any building or structure may be listed if it can be shown to be of historic, cultural or social merit. I would have thought evidence of the history of copper mining and the associated culture was well worth preserving ....even if angling is of no worth to the authorities. Can I suggest someone local finds out about the 'listed building' situation first of all and sets in progress the listing application if it is not listed. Lists are kept in Cardiff and Aberystwyth see
http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/upload/...-e20057855.htm

another hint, ukIndependence party are making a push for votes in Wales, their leader Nigel Farage is a keen sea angler and not averse to a bit of publicity.

We all know what good petitions to this government do, 1.8million people ignored on road pricing.

Swanage Pier has a large body of volunteers who put in a great deal of work over the years.
I suggest you contact the Swanage Pier Trust have a look at the Friends of the Pier link..... Olive Middleton is a stalwart of the volunteer band there ( she wrote the History booklet) I'm sure she would be able and willing to give you advice. Her phone number is in the Friends section in an appeal for April 1st help.
If you rather I acted as go-between then let me know and I will get down to see her and get the info... I am more than willing to help save any fishing spot.

I still think the listing option is worth a go.
thanks for that very informative,will pass on info given.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts