World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.
Im fishing a mark soon where i know there are conger and big bass sitting under the pillers of a pier, as with all the best fishing its a little tackle hungry. I have got a proper conger rig with a 8/0 heavy gauge hook attatched to i think 150lb wire but it was given to me and i would like to keep it for a different trip.

I have a few pike rigs again given to me but they're slightly less valuble to me so i dont mind loosing them so much but i know theyre much lighter [35lb wire].
Has anyone had any experiance with conger fishing with pike traces?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i think the congers will bite through the pike wire like dental floss. it might sound silly but can you not just buy some conger traces?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Do you mean pike traces as in fully made traces with trebles? Getting trebles out of an angry conger......rather you than me mate! Not to mention the extra damage trebles can do to a fish.

If you mean the short wire traces with a swivel at one end and a small clip at the other, well I don't think I would trust them. I personally would much prefer a 100lb+ snood of crimped wire or very heavy mono, I don't think I would use those cheap pike traces in the sea, I wouldn't like to lose a fish of a lifetime for the sake of a few pence.

Wire and suitable crimps are cheap enough, why not just buy some and make your own then you will have no doubts regarding the rigs? :fish:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I dont see why not mate...Some 150lb mono may be better for the job seen as wire can aparently cut through the conger and damage them if the spin....
mtm

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Heavy nylon (150lb+) is fine for conger. It's cheap and easy to make up traces. I now use 8/0 barbless hooks to 200lb nylon with a big loop to get my hand in and a swivel in the loop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use 12" nylon coated wire leaders on my conger traces - they must be similar to your pike traces. I snip off the snap link and swivel - replace them with a better swivel at one end and a hook (or 2 - pennel) at the other end.
I use these for shore (not pier) fishing, I make pulley pennel rigs, I like my hook snood to be 18-24'' long so after the wire I add 6-12'' of nylon, thus the hook length is 2 sections with a swivel between the 2 sections - as congers love barrel rolling I have found this to help, in giving more landed rather than chewed up/lost traces. )

·
Registered
221 Posts
There are endless stories of "massive" conger lost on the surface due to traces snapping etc. I reduce the chance of it happening to me by using either 100lb-150lb wire or heavy (250lb) mono and hooks from 6/0 - 8/0. You may get away with it on the small ones, or if you are lucky enough to hook a big one cleanly in the mouth, so the trace does not touch the teeth. If you lose a big one, you will kick yourself. Congers are pretty stupid - on several trips, I have caught the same one twice. I don't think heavy trace material puts them off at all.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I don't think heavy trace material puts them off at all.
I think you're right, I saw a guy on one wrecking trip catching them using a length of coathanger with a hook at one end and a swivel at the other. He reckoned it didn't tangle so much but then my 250 lb mono traces didn't tangle either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts