World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im after a bit of advice, i have a pilot 590 dory 20ft, like a wilson flyer and my old mercury 90hp 2 stroke engine has died beyond economical repair. I,ve been offered a 75 hp honda four stroke 2004 and im wondering if this will be powerfull enough, my gut feeling is it will be plenty but im just checking before i go and spend the cash. thanks

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Hi all im after a bit of advice, i have a pilot 590 dory 20ft, like a wilson flyer and my old mercury 90hp 2 stroke engine has died beyond economical repair. I,ve been offered a 75 hp honda four stroke 2004 and im wondering if this will be powerfull enough, my gut feeling is it will be plenty but im just checking before i go and spend the cash. thanks

That's a big lump of an engine for a 75 and runs on carbs too so won't be particularly economical - if it's a good price and in good condition could be a good buy, but if it's an average price, probably better engines for your money.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
On ours we had an evinrude 70 autolube, till the auto lube forgot to do it's job, went very well, then we replaced it with 90 vfour evinrude (auto lube) removed. Not a great deal of difference TBH. Get the four stroke much more economic and quiet. for odd few knots why worry, you will still get wet in a chop. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies the 75 honda 2004 ive been offered is for £2250 with controls fully serviced with a 12mth warranty fitted which i thought was good, My concern was is it big enough considering the extra weight to power? or should i wait for somthing slightly bigger? Aquabell what sort of speed did you get with your 70 on?

·
Banned
10,509 Posts
A good friend of mine (fisn"n"chips) on here had the same boat, Pilot 590, with a Suzuki 70hp efi 4 stroke & it went ok.
He still has the same boat & engine but garyflyer chopped it down to a Pilot 540 18ft & re-fitted the engine on a pod & it goes even better now (rotten transom).
70-75hp is the minimum I would recommend on the 590 & a 90-115 efi may be a little more economical as you won"t be pushing the bigger engine quite so hard but if the Honda is good then performance should be ok.
I think he got about 28-30mph out of it when the boat was 20ft.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Hi, thanks for the replies the 75 honda 2004 ive been offered is for £2250 with controls fully serviced with a 12mth warranty fitted which i thought was good.
I would say that's a good deal too - the saving over a more modern engine will more than make up for the lack of economy compared to a newer tech model.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Hi, thanks for the replies the 75 honda 2004 ive been offered is for £2250 with controls fully serviced with a 12mth warranty fitted which i thought was good, My concern was is it big enough considering the extra weight to power? or should i wait for somthing slightly bigger? Aquabell what sort of speed did you get with your 70 on?
It was way back in the 70's and in those days speed was restricted/ the domain of people like Malcolm Campbell, and John Cobb, no doubt the boat can take these crazy speeds but the occupants definitely cannot! If you want to go charging about like a looney talk BruceK. LOL

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I charge around a bit in my pilot:rolleyes::rolleyes: tbh it is just as bad as a raider or warrior or predator or.....:D honestly though it is a cracking boat mine is fitted with a Suzuki 4 stroke 70hp at wot she`s hitting 33-35mph and cruises well at 22-25mph at 4200rpm :cool: tbh though I am with headlight on this and think you really should be looking for another 90 or 115efi although mine is economical i think the pod and jack plate has something to do with this lol and i`m around halfway to reclaim the savings on fuel for the fitout,,:cool: again nice one headlight and garryflyer :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.