World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With it being a rainy night on tuesday when I was last out,I didn't use up the lugworm that I'd dug for that night so I remembered that my late dad used to say that we should always fish a certain spot in a dropping swell at Pittenweem,and headed down there at about 7pm. I tied on the first trace which was one with a 2/0 fine wire hook that I'd had left from flounder fishing the last night,and typically hit into a fish straight away that promplty straightened the hook as I pulled it through the tangles.Undeterred I changed to a more robust 4/0 aberdeen,and within 2 minutes of casting out to the same spot got hit again and this time landed a codling of 2 1/4lbs. This was followed by a small codling,and then by another decent one of 2 3/4 lbs,so it turned out to be a good enough return for the 20 worms that I had left to use up,and home for 9.

Swell dropping nicely

First fish of the evening

Wee one next

Then the biggest one

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice one Bob :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well done Bob!! Were they caught on a dropping tide? Three of us fished Methil sea wall last night on a dropping tide but only got two pottleys!! Uve got a good mark there!!!!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Sound report as always Bob, and excellent pics. looking at the first pic it doesn't look like your far out at all, so i take it the fish were practically at your feet.
I remember you said a while back that the red summer cod dont taste that good. I find the flesh very soft but still find them good eating. ( above size limit of course). Well done again m8.....:clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sound report as always Bob, and excellent pics. looking at the first pic it doesn't look like your far out at all, so i take it the fish were practically at your feet.
I remember you said a while back that the red summer cod dont taste that good. I find the flesh very soft but still find them good eating. ( above size limit of course). Well done again m8.....:clap2::clap2:
At that particular spot the skellies run parallel to you at about 20 foot intervals so the further you cast,the more difficult it is to get your gear back,also red codling have no problems with shallower water and on a spring tide the water there is probably less than 5 foot deep and you still get them no bother.I doubt if I cast more than 30 yards that night.

It's not that the red cod don't taste good mate,I'd just mentioned that most people aren't keen on eating them as they soon fill with worms in the flesh as the summer goes on.At the moment though they are still clean,and I can assure you that last night's fishcakes tasted superb, :thumbs: (I put the wee one back of course)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice 2 c the fish r here,goin out on sat wi geo.dont know war yit,fund oot on sat morn!:))
You'll maybe no need to travel so much now Steve,things are picking up locally,I reckon this next week should be good if that swell disappears altogether.Have you been doon the pier at Pittenweem yet? first wrasse showed up the other night.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
At that particular spot the skellies run parallel to you at about 20 foot intervals so the further you cast,the more difficult it is to get your gear back,also red codling have no problems with shallower water and on a spring tide the water there is probably less than 5 foot deep and you still get them no bother.I doubt if I cast more than 30 yards that night.

It's not that the red cod don't taste good mate,I'd just mentioned that most people aren't keen on eating them as they soon fill with worms in the flesh as the summer goes on.At the moment though they are still clean,and I can assure you that last night's fishcakes tasted superb, :thumbs: (I put the wee one back of course)
Cheers for the info there Bob, I know what your saying about the rock layout , happens in a few of my marks. regarding the parasitic worms , i can understand how it would put some people off , but i just soak em in fresh tap water and pick them out.
I suppose when you love eaten fish as much as i do then nothing puts you off. lol... Keep up the good fishing mate.:):)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts