World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Can anyone recommend any good places to shore fish in northern Ireland. Im based in Armagh and due to an accident I will have a bit of time to spare, I'm ideally looking for the east coast (kilkeel,newcastle etc)

Im fishing with a light bass rod, 15lb line and I cant cast very far (probably managing 100 yards at most th the mo)

Any recommendations please and also any recommend bait.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ardglass is pretty popular, i think theres a few guys on here who fish there. ive fished the golf course there and got a hole in one, boom boom. only messing. there is a golf course there and if you cross it then go over the rocks you'll be casting into deep water. there will be mackrel, wrasse, pollock etc it can get busy at the weekends during good weather but if your off work you can go during the week, the fish will still be there :)
let us know how you get on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello there. If you're willing to come south a little you could fish Greenore Strand (Near Carlingford) from low tide up. A lob of 50-60 yards is all that is needed to put you in quite deep water and will put you among some decent Dab, small Pollock, dogfish and maybe a codling. I've taken a lot of Bass here on Plugs and fly. They seem to be less common on bait for some reason, but perhaps with some decent peeler bait you might do well. Greenore is also one of the best and easiest marks to fish for Mackerel. You will catch Mackerel here when most of the other known spots are struggling in unsettled weather.

Although I think the best thing about this mark is that you really never know what will show up! Some very good thornbacks have been caught here, along with Spurdog and some oddities like scorpion fish (not sure if that's the correct name!), tadpole fish, sea trout and maybe a plaice. This is also a mark that would give the patient angler a chance at a shore caught tope. Although I really wouldn't recommend with the tackle you're talking about!!

Regarding bait for the area, you should carry as wide a selection as possible and fish a three hook flapper with different baits on each hook. You can even mix and match your own cocktails. Unusually, one of the top baits here is frozen black lug tipped with Mackerel or squid. This will take nearly all of the fish listed above. Another top bait I've tried here with a lot of success is mussell (Thanks for the tip Mike!). King rag tipped with squid also takes some beating and is a particular favourite of the bass, unfortunately also of the dogfish! In calm warm overcast conditions a whole sandeel cast literally no more than 10-15 yards will give you a good chance of a decent bass or sea trout. Anyway, if you're thinking of giving it a try and would like more info don't hesitate to contact me!

Mick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for the posts. I went to Greenore two nights ago and landed a dozen mackeral....

thanks for the tip!!1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent! Next time take a beach caster along and chop the head and guts off one of the mackerel and lob this out no more than 15yds. You may pick up a bonus bass! Alternatively, if you're using feathers try attaching a large heavy spinner, like a toby or a large dexter wedge instead of a lead. You could well find yourself with a full string of Mackerel complete with a nice Bass attached to the spinner!!

Mick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mick, I'm a serious lure nut, usually freshwater but lately have been using lures for sea fish, I'd dearly love a bass on the plug. Can you give me any more details about the fish at GREENORE..I also have a boat ( orkney 520) so I don't have to be restricted to the shore...any help you can give along these lines to get a man his first ever bass would be appreciated, thanks...Luresalive. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
My apologies! I've just seen your post. I'd be more than happy to help. Carlingford Lough is fishing really well at the minute for Bass. I took a 8/14lb fish last week on a surface popping plug. Fly fishing is excellent too!! I don't think the boat would be the best way to approach things though as the bass feed in literally 18 inches of water! Get yourself a pair of chesties and a spinning and / or fly rod and get out there. It really is excellent fishing! If you'd like some technical info (Lures, Flies etc.) don't hesitate to contact me.

Mick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone recommend any good lures, I've never tried lure fishing before and some tips on size etc and if possible where to get one from would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone thinking of trying Greenore, I would say DO, good fishing, very friendly locals but watch out for a little ginger kid trying to pinch your bait. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some good tips from this thread - Thanks Mick the Fish - I'll defo be trying out Greenore.

Sion - there has been some good fishing on the Antrim coast of late. The ledges at Red Bay is a good spot - located about 1 mile before waterfoot church on the A2 coast road. I had a great night here last week.

Good Luck...

GG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, just wondered if anyone in NI has had any joy from D'dee pier recently?
Myself and the mate was down there last Sunday night and cam home with a bag of 8 coal fish and a small codling, were going back tonight (midnight High tide). T see if we can at least match the other night.
Just wondered if anyone else had any joy round there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Went to Greenore on Sunday 15 August: can't see what all the fuss is about this place being a good venue :confused: Not a venue I would recommend at all!

Really disappointing day's fishing. :(
Only a very few mackerel were being caught by the crowds on the shore. Shore was very congested (but people very friendly) Lots of kids messing about.
Lures and rigs whizzing through the air in all directions. Lost count of the number of times my line was fouled by crossed lines.

Rubbish on shore and in water. Hooked several submerged items of rubbish, including bin bags, a nappy, a shoe and a condom (not a flying C but an actual contraceptive!) :(

Water traffic was awful: powerboats, speed boats, fishing boats and waterskiers, close to shore. Large cargo ships frequently passing. :mad:

All this must scare the hell out of any fish present. :eek:

Plus points: nice scenery looking out to sea and at mountains (don't look behind you from the shore: derelict buildings and ugly harbour. Friendly people and there is car park right by the shore.

In general, thumbs down: I will not be back (Fish are probably of the same opinion: well they don't have thumbs, but you know what I mean).

If you want a relaxing, good day's fishing: forget going to Greenore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts