World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Had a couple of nice Plaice on Friday whilst fishing the Shambles.
The bigger one I have filleted into four and bunged in the freezer.

(I have to say, this was a good fish at 4lb 4oz and a very dissapointing amount of meat came off it)

The smaller (about 2.5lb) one I trimmed the fins off, headed and gutted it and then grilled with a little seasoning until the skin was crispy on both sides.

It was bland and watery. A real dissapointment.

Any tips for the future?

I used to catch a lot of Plaice and remember them being delicious I just can't remember how I used to cook them.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Think it may be a bit soon after spawning. Their fat reserves will be wasted now, hence no taste.
I think plaice has a great flavour and is strong enough to be tasted through a good batter.
Wish I could find them regularly on my patch.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Perhaps it is time for a voulunteer close season on early season plaice. They as pointed out have no flesh on their bones, having done their bit in increasing their numbers, I have seen fish that weighed 3lb, that looked like a 6 pounder when it came out of the water. Taking a spawned salmon (a kelt) is a criminal offence, perhaps this should be treated similarly? I fish for spring plaice, photo and return if possible. This also applied to spring flounders, which are usually in a worse state than plaice.

philtherod

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you guys are right.
These fish are skinny and need fattening up. I always remember them being really tasty!

I catch them in a rather well known location for them and the problem we have is that the moment they arrive they are targetted by the commercials so us anglers try and get in there ASAP.
I would, however, be happy to have a closed season for them (and any other species for that matter).

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
By far the biggest flounder I ever caught (in terms of length) was at this time of year, some years ago.

It was an astonishing 59cm long, but in weight no more than a couple of pounds. Literally skin and bone. I've seen thicker sheets of paper!

In tip-top condition, this would have stood a great chance of smashing the Welsh record.

Sadly, although it swam off strongly on release, it has since avoided any bait I've had out for it LOL!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had a plaice from the Shambles the day before!! Was fairly lean but lovely tasting.

Trim fins and gut. Wash thouroughly and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 190c

Place fish in foil with 3 small lumps of butter underneath and 3 small lumps on top.

Seal the foil to make a parcel (if using fillets do them individually)

Cook on middle shelf on a baking tray for 20mins for the whole plaice or about 15 for fillets.

Serve with new pototoes, broccoli & peas. Pour the butter from the foil over the fish & spuds.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
I had a plaice from the Shambles the day before!! Was fairly lean but lovely tasting.

Trim fins and gut. Wash thouroughly and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 190c

Place fish in foil with 3 small lumps of butter underneath and 3 small lumps on top.

Seal the foil to make a parcel (if using fillets do them individually)

Cook on middle shelf on a baking tray for 20mins for the whole plaice or about 15 for fillets.

Serve with new pototoes, broccoli & peas. Pour the butter from the foil over the fish & spuds.
Yum! That's how I cook turbot too - in fact a great way to cook any flattie :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
507 Posts
No need to skin it. When you open the parcel the fished has steamed itself, and the skin will lift off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts