World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I am looking to get out of my normal fishing mode and start trig to catch some different species and visit different venues... First on the list..... pLAICE ... Can anyone offer some tips and venues as I believe February is a good time to start. Thanks all

·
Registered
827 Posts
hi all,

I am looking to get out of my normal fishing mode and start trig to catch some different species and visit different venues... First on the list..... pLAICE ... Can anyone offer some tips and venues as I believe February is a good time to start. Thanks all
Tis a great fish to catch and very tasty.

West Bexington is the most popular place that i know and fish and regulrly throughs up some beauties, it can be crowded when the plaice are in so sometimes a walk left or right from the car park is in order. People use differing rigs sich as flappers, wish bone rigs and loop rigs but i personnaly use a wishbone with an up and over 3-4 foot snood depending on the tide. They are sight hunters so as a rule are generally caught during the day and like blinged up hooks, black and green alternaing beeds with a few sequins works best for me but have seen all sorts of combinations. Caught them on slivers of squid, mackerel belly and rag in the past so cannot recomment a specific bait. Not been plaice fishing for a couple of years but will deffo be giving them a go in March when i have 3 weeks off work, from the shore and hopefully the boat.

I will generally cast as far as i can then every 5 min or so reel in a few turns to cover more ground.....seems to work.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Can anyone offer some tips and venues as I believe February is a good time to start. Thanks all
Sorry to hijack but can anyone give info on best tides and conditions for fishing slapton/beesands for plaice?
Try Beesands in the South Hams
it has fished very well for me over the years and last spring I was getting 4-5 a session down there
lugworm with a very thin strip of squid on size 1 Kamasan B940 hooks on a 2 hook flapper rig
or peeler crab with squid strip
fish a morning tide down to L/W for a couple of hours then up to half water for best results I find
this will hopefully answer your question as well VMax1

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Timbop... I'm planning to try for flatties over the next few weeks as well around South Hams....will update if I have any success!!! Anyone know how is Beesands after the recent storms? I know it got well battered a while back and hoping it's not as bad this time???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Timbop... I'm planning to try for flatties over the next few weeks as well around South Hams....will update if I have any success!!! Anyone know how is Beesands after the recent storms? I know it got well battered a while back and hoping it's not as bad this time???
Thanks mate, let me know how you get on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts