World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I've put this in the right section but as Im fishing from a yak here goes, I want to have a go for some plaice, never fished for these before so was wondering what type of bottom to fish over? In my area i have a choice of mud flats or sand, where would be best out of these two, also would squid or limpet be a good bait, would drifting be ok or do I need to be anchored, what type of rig.:secret:
Thanks

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
You need to find patches of mussels and slipper limpets, that will hold them, and at is usually sandy or gravelly bottoms. Drift fishing helps locate the fish, and worm baits tipped with a small strip of squid is best. You need plenty of bling on the hook length too :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to jump in - but I have heard many references to bait being "tipped" with squid or mackerel. As a fairly newbie I'm guessing this literally means using rag or lug then putting a small piece of squid on as well -is this right?

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Atomhead - get yourself on to Anglers Afloat. There is a plaice fishing meet coming up in a couple of weeks at Southbourne. There will be plenty of peope on hand to help with your kayaking, and the fishing for plaice. Alternatively, have you considered going on one of the Angling Trust kayak fishing courses? I deliver these courses, and I do others around the country too. You will learn more in the one day than from a year of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Sorry to jump in - but I have heard many references to bait being "tipped" with squid or mackerel. As a fairly newbie I'm guessing this literally means using rag or lug then putting a small piece of squid on as well -is this right?

Thanks
Exactly right. The white colour probably attracts them by sight, the worm by smell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts